[CASL-L] School Lib. Twitter Bomb on 12/8

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 5 13:44:27 PST 2011

FYI

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Jennifer Habley <jhabley at ala.org>
To: aaslforum at ala.org
Sent: Mon, December 5, 2011 4:19:54 PM
Subject: [aaslforum] FW: School Lib. Twitter Bomb on 12/8

Please share widely.
---------------------------------
Hello All,

As Congress continues to work on appropriation bills for FY 2012, we want to
make sure they keep school libraries in mind. The Senate Appropriations
Committee voted out of committee a bill that included $30 million for literacy,
at least half of which must go to school libraries. But the fight for this money
is not over.

In order to keep support for school libraries going, we are scheduling another
Twitter Bomb for Thursday, Dec. 8, at 3pm EST.

Please tweet the following message at both of your senators and your
representative. Below is an example of the tweet directed at Rep. Denny Rehberg
of Montana:

@DennyRehberg Keep $30 mil for #literacy and school #libraries in this year's
federal funding!

To find out if your Congressional representatives are on Twitter and what their
handles are, visit this website:
http://classic.tweetcongress.org/officials/states.

If you find that your representative is on twitter, click their image on the
left and that link will take you to his/her acct.

Once on your representative’s page, click the silhouette icon,  and enter the
message in the field below the ‘Follow’ button.

If your representatives aren’t on Twitter yet, please tweet the message out
anyway, to keep the echo chamber going.

Our last Twitter Bomb resulted in over 1000 tweets and elicited a response tweet
from Sen. Barbara Mikulski indicating her support for school libraries in ESEA.
Let’s make this one even bigger.

Please let me know if you have any questions and happy tweeting.

Ted Wegner
Grassroots Coordinator
American Library Association
Washington Office-Office of Government Relations
1615 New Hampshire Avenue N.W., 1st Floor
Washington, DC 20009-2520
Phone: 202-628-8410
Fax: 202-628-8419
twegner at alawash.org