[CASL-L] more Talking to the Principal About FVR- Solicitation for Talking Points

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 3 08:04:27 PST 2012

FYI

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Bj Mccracken <Bj_Mccracken at gfps.k12.mt.us>
To: "aaslforum at ala.org" <aaslforum at ala.org>
Sent: Fri, February 3, 2012 10:57:38 AM
Subject: [aaslforum] RE: Talking to the Principal About FVR- Solicitation for
Talking Points

Oops, forgot to tell you that I proposed using the Lexile numbers instead of
reader programs.  They eliminate any stigmas and we keep them in the electronic
management system so that none of the books are “identified” on the shelf,
however, when a student comes in we can look at his or her Lexile number and run
a quick list of our collection in those ranges.  This gives a boost to guided
reader’s advisory.  We also give control to the student by using conventions
such as the five word rule (if you do not recognize five of the words on one
page you will probably not enjoy the book).  It is the teach the client to fish
idea.  We also always show books that push their reading level just a little to
keep nudging them upward.  Our literacy folks love the library approach and use
us as a primary collaborative resource…especially for readers’ advisory issues.
Our admin also really like what we are doing and has no desire to change the
library.  It is really nice being left alone and not being part of the “fix of
the month’ club.