[CASL-L] Talking to the Principal About FVR- Solicitation for Talking Points

Virginia Snowden snowdenv at newtown.k12.ct.us
Mon Feb 6 08:45:49 PST 2012

I'm  presenting   a workshop "Is Independent Reading Obsolete?"   at  the
NELMS conference in April.  Those who fight for kids  to have access to
books and time to read are not alone.
It's been quite a  challenge to  preserve a place in the budget for our
library collection, maintain  our library staff and  allow students time in
the school day to access books and read.  We had a group of parents  who
percieved "time spent JUST reading" as a waste of instructional hours.
When trying to get administrators and BOE on board we pulled from several
sources.

*Revisiting Silent Reading* by Hiebert and Reutzel was a research treasure
chest, citing many studies done since the negative NPR 2002 findings.
We also used the AASL position on "Reading in School."
My favorite though was taken from an article in Reading Teacher.

*The Benefits of Sustained Silent Reading: *
*Scientific Research and Common Sense Converge*,
Elaine M. Garan, Glenn DeVoogd, The Reading Teacher, 62(4), 2008, pp.
336-344.
 “Furthermore, if we really believe that reading is probably not a good
idea in school, then why assign it for homework or encourage it at all for
the matter? Would any researcher, teacher, or administrator seriously tell
parents they should not encourage their children to read because there’s
not enough scientific evidence – using a medical model of research- to tell
us that it helps? If reading is not worth doing in school, then it’s not
worth the sacrifice of family time at home either. Our society values
books. Certainly, it would be a betrayal of those values if we did not promote
or allow real books and real reading in schools.” (p. 341

It has helped but not entirely eliminated the protests of those that would
have us not read in school, that since we included independent reading as
an official part  of the reading curriculum, and provided access to
books and time to read in school, our reading scores   have increased
pretty darn dramatically. Come  to the NELMS conference in  April!

Ginny Snowden
Librarian
Reed Intermediate School
3 Trades Lane