[CASL-L] Update: Google Docs (Bristol), Google+ (MLSC), LinkedIn for Librarians (MLSC) & Redesigning Flyers in Publisher 2010 (Darien)

Abery, Kris Kris.Abery at ct.gov
Mon Feb 27 11:37:10 PST 2012

The following Connecticut State Library CE workshops & OCLC/WebJunction webinars have been scheduled for March 2012. To register access the Connecticut Library Continuing Education Calendar of Events @ http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventcalendar.asp

Introduction to Google Docs - Mar. 7th (Bristol PL)

Looking to save money but still want to use the latest productivity software (word processing, worksheets, presentation and email)? Well a choice for you might be Google Docs. This free software is courtesy of your friends at Google. Your documents can be saved on their servers and even shared with multiple people...at the same time. In this half day workshop the instructor will cover each application that makes up Docs: documents (word processing), spreadsheets, presentations and forms/drawing as well as sharing of documents.

Google+ - Mar. 21st (MLSC)

On June 28th 2011, Google launched its new project: Google Plus. Touted as a tool to make sharing on the web "more like sharing in real life." In this workshop, we will review the features Google+ has to offer. We will also compare similar features in Facebook and discuss the pros and cons between both services.

LinkedIn for Librarians - Mar. 21st (MLSC)

You may have heard of Facebook and MySpace but are you familiar with LinkedIN? This social networking site has become one of the most popular sites for those wanted to create a professional presence on the Internet. In this workshop, we will explore LinkedIn features such as Profiles, Contacts, and Job Searching. We will also examine various "groups" available in the LinkedIn network where we can share ideas, write or receive professional recommendations, as well as enhance our knowledge of library issues.

Redesigning Flyers in Publisher 2010 - Mar. 28th (Darien PL)

Do your flyers have the impact you want? This course combines a discussion on flyer design as well as, a hands on approach to redoing

flyers. We'll be talking about what makes an effective flyer while critiquing your samples and samples of your fellow students. We'll

then go to the computers to do "makeovers' with our knew found knowledge. A working knowledge of Microsoft Publisher is required for

this class. Please bring samples of your work and an open mind.

Topics include:

Identifying the elements of good flyer design

Determining what makes some flyers work better than others

Seeing the effect of color and fonts on flyers

Opening your eyes to the flyer world around you

Using your own good judgment to redo sample flyers

March OCLC/WebJunction Webinars
It Takes a Community to Bridge the Digital Divide
Tuesday, March 6, 2012,  1 pm EST
Early Registration: https://oclc.webex.com/oclc/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=717699718

In FCC Chairman Genachowski’s announcement<http://www.fcc.gov/blog/fcc-and-connect-compete-tackle-broadband-adoption-challenge> of the sweeping Connect2Compete initiative to increase broadband connectivity and Internet access across the nation, he listed an impressive array of partners who are joining in the effort. Although he singled out libraries as “vital centers for digital literacy,” any effective actions must involve the whole community of players. Join us to hear about the key role that the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) is playing in the broadband adoption challenge and the actions already underway for building digital communities<http://www.imls.gov/about/digitally_inclusive_communities.aspx>. And also hear insights on the collaborative roles and efforts of city/county governments and public and private organizations. Learn how to get started with inclusion efforts from organizations who have taken the steps to implement practical programs which meet local needs and share your ideas about collaborative efforts which lead digital inclusion.

Presenters: Susan Hildreth, director, Institute of Museum and Library Services; Ron Carlee, chief operating officer, International City/County Management Association; and David Keyes, community technology program manager, City of Seattle.

Adult Programs on a $0 Budget

Tuesday, March 27, 2012,  2 pm EST
Early Registration: https://oclc.webex.com/oclc/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=714059090

In just a few short years, the Laurens County Library, in rural South Carolina, has created an impressive and well attended series of adult programs on a shoestring budget. Join us for a webinar, hosted in collaboration with WebJunction and the Association for Rural and Small Libraries<http://www.arsl.info/>, to learn how the library selects topics, recruits presenters, raises funds, and promotes through effective public relations practices. Find out what Laurens has done that works, what doesn't work, and learn how your adult programming can make your library a valued community hub, building awareness and increasing usage of all your services.

Presented by: Joey P. Holmes, library assistant at the Laurens County Library<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Laurens-County-Public-Library-System/118287014855617> (SC)

April Webinars:
Skills for the Everyday Leader

Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 2 pm EST
Early Registration: https://oclc.webex.com/oclc/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=717908240

Many of us regard a move into management as “going to the dark side,” but leadership is not only reserved for those with manager in their title. Learning effective supervisory skills can benefit many levels of work in the library, especially if you wear multiple hats in your organization serving as both staff peer and manager. Find out the top 10 actions to take and the top 10 mistakes to avoid as an everyday leader. By the end of this webinar, you'll have some simple and effective tools to help you work more powerfully with your colleagues or become the supervisor you always wanted to work for.

Presented by: Edra Waterman, director, Hamilton East Public Library (IN)

Virtual Connections

Tuesday, April 10, 2012,  pm EST
Early Registration: https://oclc.webex.com/oclc/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=711626360

Get connected with your library patrons! Connecting with patrons in the online world is vital for libraries. Learn how to build and maintain virtual, internet-based connections with your patrons by utilizing the tools they are increasingly using themselves, including Google Plus, QR Codes, and Pinterest. We will focus on how to get started with these platforms and how to immediately put them to use for your library. You will also be provided with ideas to expand your use of these great connection-oriented tools. Learn how libraries are growing virtual community connections and engaging with their patrons.

Presented by: Melanie Hedgespeth, technology manager and Randy Merrell, tech trainer, Salina Public Library (KS)

Kris Abery
Continuing Education Coordinator
Connecticut State Library
Email: Kris.Abery at ct.gov