[CASL-L] FREE webinar 5/9

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 4 06:56:56 PDT 2012

FYI

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: edWeb <message at edweb.net>
To: Irene Kwidzinski <kwidz at sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Thu, May 3, 2012 10:03:33 PM
Subject: Digest from Emerging Tech: Using Technology to Advance Your School
Library Program at the edWeb

Digest from Emerging Tech: Using Technology to Advance Your School Library
Program at the edWeb
This is a digest of activity from the community Emerging Tech: Using Technology
to Advance Your School Library Program.
 Mobile learning, BYOD, BYOT, choosing tools, and apps
A new posting from Michelle Luhtala (Department Chair, New Canaan High School,
New Canaan, CT)
In anticipation of next Wednesday's webinar on mobile technology, we'd like to
hear from you. What questions do you have about using student-owned devices?
At New Canaan High School, students are encouraged to bring and use their
devices. We also circulate 12 (soon to be 22) iPads and 10 iPods - all of which
were acquired with award money, not budgeted funds.
The fact that these devices are not technically (no pun intended) part of the
district's information and communications technnology infrastructure presents
several human resources dilemmas. We don't have staff on hand to support device
configuration and management. Application purchases are tricky. Thus far, we've
been incredibly fortunate to have a student undertake these responsibilities -
Michael DeMattia - now officially our Student Director of Mobile Devices.
Unfortunately for us, Michael is graduating this year. He leaves New Canaan High
School in just two weeks to begin an internship teaching English to eighth
graders for the remainder of the year.
It pleases me to no end that Michael has agreed to co-present next Wednesday's
webinar with me. He will share his experience as a student in a BYOD high school
- coming from a device-free middle school. He will also share his expertise with
device management.
If you have a chance, there is a standing Twitter chat called #BYOTchat on
Thursday nights at 9PM, EST. Please join in, if you can. The hashtag is
#BYOTchat. It is co-facilitated by Jeremy Angoff and Steve Hayes, among others.
Last Saturday, I took Michael and his student trainee Molly to edCamp Boston. We
participated in a conversation about BYOD there. Here are the notes.
Please post your questions about BYOD here in this discussion thread. It will
deepen the conversation on Wedensday. Thank you!

To reply to the message, go to http://www.edweb.net/.59ce880e

 Mobile learning, BYOD, BYOT, choosing tools, and apps
A new posting from Michelle Luhtala (Department Chair, New Canaan High School,
New Canaan, CT)
Did I mention that May 9 is Michael's birthday?
To reply to the message, go to http://www.edweb.net/.59ce880e/0

Change your email notifications. You can receive individual notifications, a
daily digest, or stop all email notifications completely. Go to My Settings then
select 'Change My Email Notifications'.  Questions?  Contact support at edweb.net.