[CASL-L] Fw: [aaslforum] FW: Learning Technologies: New Molecules to Play Test! (esp. teachers)

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 24 08:20:17 PDT 2012

FYI

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Ann Crewdson <crewdson at kcls.org>
To: "aaslforum at ala.org" <aaslforum at ala.org>
Sent: Wed, May 23, 2012 4:26:11 PM
Subject: [aaslforum] FW: Learning Technologies: New Molecules to Play Test!
(esp. teachers)

Greetings AASL Colleagues,

I’m sending this on behalf of Dr. Stegman from Learning Technologies.  Can you
please pass this on to your teachers or anyone who might be interested?

Thank you,

Ann Crewdson
Children's Section Supervisor
Issaquah/Sammamish Libraries
King County Library System
Voice: (425) 392-5430
email: crewdson at kcls.org
ALA Councilor-at-Large 2011-2013

Molecular Happenings in Learning Technologies at FAS
Having trouble reading this email? View it on the web.

Learning Technologies News- May 2012
 Immune  Defense"Beta" is Ready to Play!
You  will also find a teacher's guide to the game.  Play the game with your
class, follow up with some of our questions:  What is a "First Playable" version
of a game?  How is technology developed?  What do you think you are supposed to
learn in this game?  What  do you want to learn from this game?  What is an LPS
Receptor?  What is a protein? And then, please share your feedback with us.
Immune Defensepresents white blood cells, their  signaling proteins, their
receptors, their activities, responses to signals, differentiation... and all of
these must be used strategically to beat ever more tricky pathogens.  Web based,
PC and Mac compatible, you will only need the Unity Webplayer.  Find  everything
you need here:

Click  here to test our game with your students today!
 Immune  Attack still needs some evaluation, too!
Immune Attack is our PC-only, download-and-install, three dimensional game in
which players to activate proteins to get white blood cells to do their
jobs....  Set in a real fantasy  world of the vein, connective tissue and a
macrophage cell surface, Immune Attack delivers flying and shooting excitement
and cellular immunology satisfaction.
If you have a PC computer lab in your school you can collect data for us!
Please SIGN UP HERE and we'll send you the details.
 Calling Scientists!  Looking for Science Video Games?  Teachers?
ScienceGameCenter.org
Everyone wants to use "a great science game" in their classroom or their living
room.  But which game is great for your kids or your audience?  We are
collecting all the science  games we can find for people 10 and up, and we are
collecting comments and reviews so you can learn from your colleagues about
these diverse games.
ARE YOU A SCIENTIST?  Would you like to review a game about PHYSICS or CELL
BIOLOGY?  Are you a TEACHER?  We are soliciting EXPERT REVIEWERS to give us
insight into what these  science games do well and how many different ways they
might be used in the classroom or the living room.  D
Are you a GAME DEVELOPER?  Well, ask your audience to review your game
at ScienceGameCenter.org

 Teachers,  please plan to help us next Fall!
We are planning a large scale controlled evaluation of Immune Defense.  We hope
to show that the game + a lecture teaches better than just the game...  We will
provide the lecture  on video...  we hope you can help us out in the Fall
Semester.  For more information, please sign up here.  Our collaborators are the
Maine International Center for Digital Learning (MICDL.org.)

About the Learning Technologies Program:The Learning Technologies Program was
started at FAS in 2001, in response to the growing realization that technology
might be a very important addition to our education system, but that it was not
being developed in leaps or bounds. FAS Learning Technologies took a big leap
when the started making Immune Attackand Discover Babylonin 2004. Both games are
available for free download (PC only) at at our website.  Contact Melanie
Stegmanwith comments.
About FAS:Founded  in 1945 by scientists who built the first atomic bombs, today
the Federation  of American Scientists(FAS) works from Washington, DC to ensure
that public policy and the public are informed by intelligent, accurate
scientific research.
Support FAS:FAS is  supported by grant-making organizations and by individual
members like you. To help fund our Experts' important work, donate and join
today.

This email was sent to by the Federation of American Scientists.
To opt-out of all future emails from FAS, click here: Unsubscribe
Federation of American Scientists
1725 DeSales St NW, 6th Floor
Washington, DC 20036-4406
United States