[CASL-L] Reading the more effective/efficient way

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 30 11:09:35 PDT 2012

FYI

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Connie Williams <chwms at mac.com>
To: aaslforum at ala.org
Cc: Stephen Krashen <skrashen at yahoo.com>
Sent: Tue, May 29, 2012 10:33:13 PM
Subject: [aaslforum] Re: the more effective/efficient way

Another way is to create a school climate for reading. If a school [my dream
school] were to state on the first day of school that all students and faculty
 will be expected to have reading material in their backbacks with the
expectation that everyone will be able to read something at all times. Then if
teachers were to stop kids in the hall to see what they're reading, have read,
want to read - and share a book with them that they're reading, the stage is set
for school wide expectations for reading. Throw in a few parent reading nights,
movies made from books nights and sleepovers in the library. Reading groups
could be held in classes [by genre, by author, by color of covers,] or during
recess or at break. 60 second book talks can be given over the loudspeaker,
video classes can make their own movies [not about books, but make their own
stories], writers clubs can emerge to write poetry, make comic books, etc.

I taught a required 7th grade course called "young adult literature [YAL] " for
two semesters. It was in addition to their English class. They read 5 books in
the semester. They book talked, they swapped books, they made very cool projects
including a huge mural about the book "Downriver" [the only book everyone all
read - because they wanted to]. The unit on comic books brought the kids [mostly
boys] into the hall early after lunch to line up so that they could get the one
they wanted to read that period.

I think a lot about that class. I didn't invent the curriculum. A remedial
reading teacher did in the late 1980's.  She noticed that all her direct
instruction didn't do anything to make kids want to read. So she created this
class. It was a hit. She later attended Dr. Krashen's keynote speech one time
and brought me [a new librarian] with her. We knew that he got it right. For 10+
years we worked together and had the best time helping kids find books. She
received many positive phone calls from parents telling her that their child
never read anything before that class, and now they were hooked.  I saw it
happen. Our school, supported by this class and a very supportive English dept
that encouraged free choice reading and lots of writing [NOT about literature
always] was a fantastic place to hang out and talk books all across campus.

We don't have to test them or "make" them read.  They actually do a lot of
reading on their own - it's just not always novels - or "literature" . Let's
find ways to "normalize" the joy that one gets when reading. AND for those kids
who really don't like it a lot - let's normalize the kind of reading they do
like: comic books, non-fiction, technical manuals, online reading, non-fiction
"draw it yourself" books... those are all valid.  Let's finally accept that.

Sorry. enough soap box.  I just absolutely believe in the power of reading - all
on it's own.

Connie Williams

Lorraine has asked the core question.