[CASL-L] Mystery Picture Book for Kindergarten

Gail Nelson gwnelson100 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 05:36:23 PST 2023

I second the suggestion of Where Are My Books?  This is my first read aloud
of the year for kindies.  I draw attention to the clues as we are reading.
There are a lot of places for kids to participate using the pictures as
prompts.  It has always succeeded in capturing their attention and getting
them guessing.

I also love an old book by Doug Cushman called ABC Mystery.  (It may be
available used if it's out of print.)  I put the pages under a document
camera so everyone can see the pictures.  It walks through a mysterious
theft of a painting in ABC order.  It has all the elements of a good
mystery: detective, witnesses, suspects and clues.  Again, tons of room for
interactivity...what clues can you spot?  Afterwards, I choose one student
to be the detective.  That student closes their eyes while I give a button
to one member of the class.  The detective guesses a student who then has
to give clues about who has the button, like "They are wearing red."  It's
a lot of fun.  One year, when a student was called on her clue was, "He
went that away!"

It's a fun topic.  Good luck!