[CASL-L] Great post from Cult of Pedagogy

Cathy Andronik cathyandronik at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 29 08:18:37 PDT 2024

 Great article!  Thank you!
My 2 cents. Many of you know me from Norwalk, where I was the person a succession of superintendents saw at a meeting and turned around to leave, because my mission was to get certified teacher librarians back into the middle and elementary schools after an absence of 20+ years.  And it's happening, at last.  But in a situation where clerks "run" the only libraries teachers and administrators have known for a long, long time, we certified staff have an uphill battle beyond rebuilding neglected collections and neglected relationships with classroom teachers, teaching information literacy to our students, and developing lifelong readers.  I remember being asked, several times, by my immediate supervisor, whether I was in the clerks' or teachers' union.  Ninth graders would arrive at my high school after nine years with paraprofessional "librarians," and be doubtful that I should be teaching, or even co-teaching, a class (and they'd tell me, "You're not a teacher.").
Those of us who have been in the profession as long as I have, have seen versions of this article with sad regularity.  The word isn't getting out.
Unfortunately, articles like this are valuable, but they preach to the choir.  What needs to happen is for teacher librarians to present at major teachers' conferences--perhaps team present with a classroom teacher or two.  And even better, we need to infiltrate administrators' conferences.
Just my 2 cents.  And keep fighting the good fight!!!!!!!
Cathy Androniik