[CASL-L] Fwd: 2nd Chance: Support eBooks for CT Libraries

CASL President president at ctcasl.org
Fri Mar 1 03:00:00 PST 2024

Please read below for more information about a 2nd eBook bill that has come
out of a different committee (although you can still contact your
legislators about SB 148!)

Sign up to testify live or via zoom by Sunday at 3pm and submit written
testimony by Monday at 5pm. The sooner the better!

This is an opportunity to have your family, friends, colleagues and
neighbors write and share their stories too. Anyone that loves Hoopla or
Libby or any of the other eBook/audio book services that our public
libraries have available, please encourage them to write. I know my parents
love to borrow digital materials because they can't always get to the
public library.

If you have any questions, please let me know - president at ctcasl.org - I'm
happy to try and answer them.
Jenny

[image: Connecticut Library Association] <https://ctlibraryassociation.org/>
------------------------------

eBook Bill Hearing: 3/4
***Second Chance!***

Did you miss out on testifying for *SB 148*
<https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&bill_num=SB00148&which_year=2024>?
Not to worry! The Government Administration & Elections Committee has just
introduced *HB 5312, An Act Making Certain Terms in Electronic Book and
Digital Audiobook License Agreements or Contracts Unenforceable*
<https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&which_year=2024&bill_num=5312>,
meaning you have a second chance to speak out and support this critical
legislation!

*HB 5312*
<https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&which_year=2024&bill_num=5312>
is essentially the same bill as SB 148, with a public hearing this
coming *Monday,
3/4 at 1:30 PM*. You can still support fair terms & pricing for library
eBooks - but time is running out!

Testimony can be given *in person or over Zoom*
<https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_bNXsDNu0QbCureqsEI51gw#/registration>,
or can be *sent in writing*
<https://www.cga.ct.gov/aspx/CGATestimonySub/CGAtestimonysubmission.aspx?comm_code=gae>.
Even if you're speaking, it helps to send a letter too. Register to testify
by 3 PM on Sun. 3/3 - and send your written testimony by 5 PM Mon. 3/4. The
sooner the better!!

Remember to mention the CT town you live in, and ask your family, friends,
and neighbors to write in and share their own stories. Legislators need to
hear how this affects CT libraries, as well as the individuals they serve.

*Every voice matters!*

Visit our action-oriented *Speak Up!*
<https://ctlibraryassociation.org/speak_up> webpage for more details and
guidance on next steps, including talking points & templates to help you
prepare testimony.

Thank you for your support,

Kate and Olivia

Co-Chairs, CLA Legislative Committee