[MCOH-EH] Safety devices for shorter insulin needles?

Dr Amber H Mitchell amber.mitchell at internationalsafetycenter.org
Thu May 5 10:50:21 PDT 2016

If it helps the group, we did some advanced data extraction from our
EPINet aggregate of hospitals (2010-2014).

This data is from sharps injuries that were reported to employee health
from ONLY safety devices used ONLY during injection and ONLY among nurses.
 I have blood collection device data too, if anyone feels it would be
useful send me an email.

11. Did the injury occur?

	1 Before use of item							4				0.7%
	2 During use of item							232				41.4%
	3 Between steps of a multi-step procedure			13				2.3%
	4 Disassembling device or equipment				15				2.7%
	5 In preparation for reuse of reusable instruments	1				0.2%
	6 While recapping a used needle					31				5.5%
	7 Withdrawing a needle from rubber or other resistance	4			0.7%
	8 Other after use, before disposal					159				28.4%
	10 While putting the item into the disposal container	21			3.8%
	11 After disposal, stuck by item protruding from disposal
container		4		0.7%
	13 After disposal, item protruding from trash bag or inapp
container		2		0.4%
	14 Other, describe								66				11.8%
	15 Restraining patient							1				0.2%
	16 Device left on floor, table, bed or other inappropriate place	7	1.3%
Total records:	560

And this is when they are occurring during the use of safety syringes.

1  Before activation			241			48.0%
	2  During activation			208			41.4%
	3  After activation				52			10.4%
	4  Unknown					1			0.2%

You¹ll note that more than 40% of injuries occur during activation of the
safety feature.  Again, this is skin injection only and the use of safety
devices only.

Amber

Amber Hogan Mitchell, DrPH, MPH, CPH
President | Executive Director