[MCOH-EH] EPIC and Employee Health

Dr Joe Fanucchi drjoe at meditrax.com
Wed Jan 18 17:08:29 PST 2017

On 1/17/2017 10:31 AM, Lovelace, Connie A. wrote:
> Does anyone know if EPIC has an occupational health component?
>
> */Connie Lovelace, RN, COHN/*///
> Clinical Operations Manager/Worker's Compensation Manager/*
> Bon Secours Virginia Health System*
> connie_lovelace at bshsi.org <mailto:connie_lovelace at bshsi.org>

On 1/17/2017 10:43 AM, Hudson, T. Warner replied:

> Epic does not. Kaiser built one based on Epic for internal Kaiser On
> the Job use; cost them millions I hear and is proprietary but most of
> us have to pick from the array of limited EMR products specific to Occ
> Health; Medgate; SYSTOC, OHM, Meditrax; Axion and a few others. Some
> have tried products for primary care like MEI Webchart with varied
> success. I’m told Concentra built their own; also proprietary.
>
> T. Warner Hudson, MD FACOEM, FAAFP
>
> Medical Director, Occupational and Employee Health
> UCLA Health System and Campus
> Office 310.825.9146
> Fax 310.206.4585
> Pager 800.233.7231  ID 27132
> twhudson at mednet.ucla.edu<http://www.ohs.uclahealth.org>

Colleagues,

As Dr Hudson noted, EPIC does not have an occupational medicine
component. The latest information that we have from EPIC users is that
there's no apparent movement toward implementing a module which will
permit documentation and reporting of PHI in a HIPAA-compliant manner.
Other HR-based solutions for occupational health and employee health
(Lawson, Cerner, Kronos, Meditech, /etc./) almost always store employee
PHI in databases that can be accessed by co-workers: it's always wise to
check with your facility's HIPAA Compliance Officer.

If you're looking for software for your Employee Health program, again
EPIC does not appear to have a module which meets the needs for
confidentiality specified in HIPAA. We're aware of several Employee
Health software solutions in addition to MediTrax
<http://www.meditrax.com>. and whenever prospective customers contact us
to ask for information about MediTrax, we always encourage them to
contact these other vendors as part of their due-diligence process:

  * Axion ReadySet <http://www.axionhealth.com/solutions/employee-health>
  * NetHealth
    <http://www.nethealth.com/products/hospital-employee-health/agility-eh/>
  * OHM <https://www.ulehssustainability.com/products/ohm/>
  * <https://www.ulehssustainability.com/products/ohm/>Medgate
    <http://www.medgate.com/software/occupational-health/>

We also advise verifying the claims made by any software vendor: some
may claim to be "the only employee health software that is
HIPAA-compliant," or "the only certified employee health EHR," but
neither of those statements is true.

Some available applications are also budget-busters (one of the programs
listed above costs over $100,000 per year), and you're welcome to
comment here on the list about your experiences with _ease of
installation_ (or lack thereof), _ease of use_ (or lack thereof),
_customer support_ (or lack thereof), and _costs_ for initial licensing,
conversion of legacy data, user training, and annual support.

Commercial solicitations are prohibited on the maillist, but comments
about the usefulness of various products may well assist other list
subscribers in refining their search for an appropriate solution.

If you're looking for software for your Occupational Medicine program,
here's a short list of possibilities:

  * Practice Velocity <http://www.practicevelocity.com/>
  * Systoc <https://www.ulehssustainability.com/products/systoc/>
  * Axion ReadySet <http://www.axionhealth.com/ohs>
  * NetHealth
    <http://www.nethealth.com/products/urgent-care/urgent-care-emr/?gclid=CjwKEAiAwfzDBRCRmJe7z_7h8yQSJAC4corO_oxEssA35i1OWsdJ2u4NDjFqgaeif6bwNJ9fFsp-shoCJVHw_wcB>
    (formerly Agility, formerly Stix)
  * GalenMD <http://www.galenmd.com/>
  * Medgate <http://www.medgate.com/software/occupational-health/>
  * and a host of other systems which you can find with any Google search.

Many of these programs are fairly expensive, and we always recommend
getting a firm price quote prior to purchase. Note that remotely-hosted
("cloud-based") solutions may offer many advantages (e.g., employer
portals) but can also involve significant per-user and per-hour costs.

Respectfully,

--
*Joe Fanucchi MD FACOEM*
President and Medical Director