[MCOH-EH] exposures

Mark Catlin mark.catlin at seiu.org
Sat Jan 21 08:34:23 PST 2017

Before and in addition to worker's compensation, CalOSHA requires employers
to prevent exposure and to provide medical services after an exposure to
airborne or droplet (aerosol) spread infectious diseases, under the 2009
Aerosol Transmissible Diseases (ATD) standard
https://www.dir.ca.gov/title8/5199.html

California passed the first occupational standard in the nation to prevent
worker illness from infectious diseases that can be transmitted by inhaling
air that contains viruses, bacteria or other disease organisms. The
Cal/OSHA Aerosol Transmissible Diseases standard was designed to make
recommended public health practices in infection control legally
enforceable. It applies to workplaces at high risk for infectious diseases
such as hospitals, clinics, emergency medical services, laboratories,
prisons and homeless shelters.

Employer requirements include written aerosol transmissible disease
exposure control procedures, infection control measures, employee training,
medical services and recordkeeping. Where engineering and work practice
controls do not provide adequate protection, the standard requires that
respiratory protection be used to protect workersperforming certain tasks
from exposure to aerosol transmissible diseases.

Mark Catlin

Health and Safety Director
SEIU
1800 Massachusetts Ave NW