[MCOH-EH] MCOH Course at AOHC

Swift, Melanie melanie.swift at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Feb 15 13:06:36 PST 2017

If you are attending this year's AOHC in Denver, consider taking the Medical Center Occupational Health Basics pre-conference course, Friday, April 21st. (Shameless plug!) Last year when our "MCOH Updates" session was SRO, and didn't have nearly enough time for all the discussion needed in this robust group, we decided to revive "MCOH Basics."

Originally conceived as a primer for physicians new to the field, Dr. Russi and I have recruited a wonderful slate of faculty who have updated the content to contain not only the bread and butter topics, but also more recent updates. Attached is the course description and a draft agenda (subject to change for late breaking information, of course!)

This course is for you if have questions like:

*         Can a TST in the last year make an IGRA go from negative to positive? (and if so, is that bad?)

*         Does it matter what version of tenofovir I use for HIV PEP?

*         What does OSHA expect us to be doing about workplace violence?

*         How do I manage a HCW exposed to varicella who had the vaccine?

*         Should an employee who develops a rash to MMR or varivax be removed from work?

*         What are the time limits on accepting external records of TST/IGRA screening on new hires?

*         Should I be doing medical surveillance on people who work with chemo?

*         Do we have the right psychological resources in place for HCWs?

These mysteries, and more, will be explored and explained (mostly) in this course!

Also there is a fantastic lineup of concurrent sessions sponsored by the MCOH Section of ACOEM:
Session 104: Research Laboratory Biohazard Exposure Management
Session 108: Protecting HCWs in Hospitals: PRO PPE Sentinel Surveillance System for Contagious Pathogens
Session 215: What Physicians Need to Know About Healthcare Ergonomics: Safe Patient Handling and Beyond
Session 303: Hazardous Drug Workplace Safety and Compliance
Session 310: Interaction of Healthcare Worker Health and Safety on Patient Health and Safety

Hope to see you there!

Melanie

Melanie Swift, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine
Director, Vanderbilt Occupational Health Clinic
Vanderbilt University Medical Center