[MCOH-EH] MMR vaccine requirements

Swift, Melanie melanie.swift at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Feb 22 14:42:28 PST 2017

Agree with Leslie. There are programs that don't have to pay for the lab tests but just have the costs absorbed by the organization; so depending on the math and your actual costs, you might be able to do that as a cost-savings measure.
>From the literature, expect approximately 20% to be negative for mumps IgG; measles and rubella about 5%. For us, it would be worth testing for measles but not for mumps, so cheaper to just vaccinate with MMR for anyone without documented vaccination.

Anecdotally, someone mentioned that adults almost never have vaccine records. Not our experience really - it's amazing how motivated people can be to find their vaccination records, when they know we are going to revaccinate them if they can't find it! ;)

Melanie

Melanie Swift, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine
Director, Vanderbilt Occupational Health Clinic
Vanderbilt University Medical Center

From: MCOH-EH [mailto:mcoh-eh-bounces at mylist.net] On Behalf Of Leslie Thompson via MCOH-EH
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:38 PM
To: MCOH/EH
Cc: Leslie Thompson
Subject: Re: [MCOH-EH] MMR vaccine requirements

Right, depends on the organization.  The CDC guidance suggests you can decide based on cost benefit.  We did a cost benefit analysis before switching from vaccine to titer on those without documentation.  In our experience, we see a high percentage of positive titers and the cost is significantly lower than 2 doses of MMR.  Depends on your pricing for titers and vaccine.

Leslie

Leslie Thompson, RN, MSN, COHN-S
Manager, Employee Occupational Health Department
Sharp HealthCare
8695 Spectrum Center Blvd
San Diego, CA  92123
leslie.thompson at sharp.com<mailto:leslie.thompson at sharp.com>