[MCOH-EH] Source testing in blood/body fluid exposure of HCW

Swift, Melanie melanie.swift at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Feb 22 14:51:39 PST 2017

Melanie Swift, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine
Director, Vanderbilt Occupational Health Clinic
Vanderbilt University Medical Center

From: MCOH-EH [mailto:mcoh-eh-bounces at mylist.net] On Behalf Of Galaid Edward I
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:25 AM
To: mcoh-eh at mylist.net
Subject: [MCOH-EH] Source testing in blood/body fluid exposure of HCW

Inquiry re policies of how to manage source testing, warehousing, release of results.  Couldn't find anything in the OEM-L archive;  there are state-to-state variations in regulations on how to handle.

 Cross-Posted with OEM-L.

I'm confident that this has been already worked out by others....appreciate insight from the list:

1.       Are the source's name and other identifiers redacted from the requisition and results? Source labs are ordered by their treating provider under their own name and MRN.

2.       If the source name is associated with the order and result, are the orders included in the medical record or stored elsewhere? Stored in the source patient's medical record.

3.       How are the results of the tests shared with the source? Their treating provider, who ordered the testing, is responsible for giving the source patient their own results.

We enter the source patient's ID and lab results in our tracking system, as part of the information stored on that exposure event. This is separate from anyone's medical record.

Ed Galaid

Edward I. Galaid, MD, MPH
ABIM, ABPM (Occ Med, PH&GPM)

Medical Director, Occupational Health Partners

Roper St. Francis Healthcare   Charleston, SC

Member, ACOEM Task Group on Medical Guidance for Law Enforcement Officers

Our Mission: Healing all people with compassion, faith and excellence.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including
any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipients and may contain confidential and/or legally
privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and
destroy all copies of the original message. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is
prohibited. Thank you.