[MCOH-EH] Source testing in blood/body fluid exposure of HCW

Kris Arnold karnold at bu.edu
Fri Feb 24 07:42:56 PST 2017

Ed,

At the shop where I work from time to time in Bean town, we start at a
higher level by having a hospital-wide exposure team staffed by Occ Med
NPH/MD and ID Attending/Fellows.  There is also a special nurse counselor
associated with the group to help both the source and exposed persons deal
with the situation if needed.

1.       Are the source’s name and other identifiers redacted from the
requisition and results?

We have a special hand-written requisition to avoid confusion in the EMR.
The source person is provided with a code.  The lab knows to provide the
results to a specified beeper, carried by the on-call person from the
exposure team.

2.       If the source name is associated with the order and result, are
the orders included in the medical record or stored elsewhere?

The order and results are kept in the specific records of the exposure
program.  They do not go to the medical records.

3.       How are the results of the tests shared with the source?

The designated exposure team member contacts the source and the exposed
employee as well as the Occ Med nurse.  If the employee was started on PEP,
the Occ Med nurse is the one who advises (in consultation with ID, if there
is a question) regarding risk profiling for the exposed employee to decide
whether they want to stop PEP. That decision is always left to the exposed
person.

If the exposed person remains on meds, Occ Med follows for labs and
symptoms throughout the course.

Hope this helps.

Kris Arnold

You know where to find me