[MCOH-EH] Vanish Point

Lisa Dyrdahl Lisa_Dyrdahl at Valleymed.org
Mon Feb 27 09:42:09 PST 2017

This is an excellent point.  I have found staff prefer to be on autopilot using the same device rather than thinking about choosing what is the safest and most appropriate for a procedure.  Purchasing will always want to standardize but I have not yet found 1 safety device that can be used for everything.

While OSHA specifies cost cannot be a determinant in selecting safety devices, Purchasing will always override this.

Lisa Dyrdahl, RN, BSN
Employee Health Nurse
Lisa_Dyrdahl at Valleymed.org<mailto:Lisa_Dyrdahl at Valleymed.org>
Ph: 425-228-3440 X5720
Fax: 425-656-5066

From: MCOH-EH [mailto:mcoh-eh-bounces at mylist.net] On Behalf Of william hyman
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 5:06 PM
To: mcoh-eh at mylist.net
Subject: [MCOH-EH] Vanish Point

The fact that the VP and/or other devices may not be suitable for everything raises both a syringe specific and a broader question.

Is it better to use a superior device when it can be used and something else when it can't, or is it better to use a mediocre (less safe) device that is suitable for everything? The argument for partial use of the superior device is that total needlesticks (or other risks) will be lower, which is of course the goal. If there is an argument for standardizing on mediocre it is presumably that stocking fewer products is good even if safety is reduced, or that lowering training needs and wider product familiarity offsets less device-specific safety. I don't think either of these alternatives is convincing, especially for the people that get stuck (or otherwise injured).

On a separate issue, OSHA has previously noted that "not on contract" cannot be a sole reason not to use a particular safety product.

DISCLAIMER: This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender then delete this message.