[CASL-L] Sept. CT State Library Continuing Education Workshops

Abery, Kris Kris.Abery at ct.gov
Thu Aug 4 08:02:47 PDT 2011

There are still seats available in the following Connecticut State Library CE workshops in September 2011. To register access the Connecticut State Library Continuing Education Calendar of Events<http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventcalendar.asp> @ http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventcalendar.asp

Retouching Pictures with Adobe Photoshop CS4 - Sept. 9th (Bristol PL)
This hands-on training session will explore many features of this powerful digital picture-retouching program. These retouched pictures can then be used on your web pages or in your print advertising. We will be using Adobe Photoshop version CS4. Topics will include:
Sharpening areas of a photograph, Blurring sections, Adding text effects, Applying filters to change the impact of a photograph, Re-coloring sections, Changing background patterns, Combining pictures, Feathering edges, Working with layers, and Understanding the history palette

Free Webinar: iCONN/Gale PowerSearch Enhancements Training - Sept. 8th (ONLINE)
Did you know that changes are coming to Gale's PowerSearch? With Gale PowerSearch's new product enhancements users can conduct research with ease and produce more relevant search results! For more details, visit http://www.gale.cengage.com/powersearch/enhanced/ .

Digital Story Telling - Sept. 12th (MLSC)
When we think of traditional storytelling, telling tales around a
campfire often comes to mind. And it's those same storytelling skills that are an essential part of giving any sort of effective presentation. In this workshop we'll be exploring digital storytelling and presentation tools. We'll cover how to use a wide range of web-based tools to present "stories" using a variety of digital media, how to find creative commons licensed media to include in presentations and look at ways to create more engaging presentations. These tools can be used in a variety of settings: student projects, library advocacy, gathering stories and
local history from patrons and so much more.

Intermediate WordPress - Sept. 13th (Darien PL) and Sept. 14th (Bristol PL)
In the basic "WordPress as a Content Management System" workshop you learned how to create Pages to display static content, use Posts to create a news page, select themes to make your site look great and
use widgets to create a sidebar of content for your library site.

In this session you'll learn much more about managing your own
installation of WordPress and customizing your library's WordPress
based web site.

Topics will include:
Tips on keeping your site secure and well maintained.
Using the file editor to make minor edits to theme files.
Customizing CSS to make simple changes to site.
Great plugins that add great features to WordPress.
New WordPress features including the Custom Menus options.
Finding & installing themes and plugins
How to work with Child Themes

Word 2010: Getting Started - Sept. 21st (Bristol PL)
Are you thinking about upgrading to Office 2010 but are anxious? Have you upgraded and are confused? This half-day workshop will clear up all the anxiety and confusion. You'll learn to love the ribbon menu, groups and options and find out where your favorite dialog boxes are. We'll also talk about file formats and setting format preferences so others can read your documents. You'll learn a tip or trick about Word 2010 along the way.

Topics covered included:
Ribbons, groups & options
Discovering hidden dialog boxes
Hiding/showing ribbons
File formats

Facebook for Libraries: Creating Pages & Groups - Sept. 28th (WLSC)
Facebook has grown to become the most popular Social Network on the planet with over 175 million active users. You may be using it in your personal life, but Facebook can also be used for your library as well. In this workshop, we will explore Facebook's Business & Organization pages and groups. We will learn the subtle differences between the different accounts, as well as investigate the different features and applications Facebook has to offer and how you can use them for your library's page. Prerequisite: You must already have a Facebook personal account and be familiar with basic status updates.

LinkedIn for Librarians - Sept. 28th (WLSC)
You may have heard of Facebook and MySpace but are you familiar with LinkedIN? This social networking site has become one of the most popular sites for those wanted to create a professional presence on the Internet. In this workshop, we will explore LinkedIn features such as Profiles, Contacts, and Job Searching. We will also examine various "groups" available in the LinkedIn network where we can share ideas, write or receive professional recommendations, as well as enhance our knowledge of library issues.

If you are unable to attend a workshop visit the WebJunction Connecticut Course Catalog<http://ct.webjunction.org/1> @ http://ct.webjunction.org/1  for a complete list of online courses.

Early Registration : October WebJunction Webinars - Take advantage of this early registration opportunity!

Innovative Use of Skill-based Volunteers in Public Libraries - Oct. 19th (ONLINE)
2:00 pm Eastern / 11:00 am Pacific
Early Registration: https://oclc.webex.com/oclc/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=719900871

There is a growing number of younger members of our communities (the "net-generation") who are highly skilled with technology and the internet but view local public libraries as nice community amenities with little relevance to their "tip of the finger" world of information. There is also a notable increase in semi-retired, computer literate, actively engaged Baby Boomers. These two groups can be tapped to become the new volunteer base for libraries. Members of the net-generation will volunteer if they can use their expertise and professional skills to make a difference. The Baby Boomers will volunteer if they believe the experience will be intellectually challenging. By engaging these "new volunteers," libraries are helping to build vibrant sustainable community support for their library. This webinar identifies the critical issues and plan of action necessary to engage skilled-based library community volunteers. WebJunction is pleased to host this webinar in collaboration with ALA Editions, moderated by Eileen Dumas and Preston Driggers, co-authors of Managing Library Volunteers<http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=3069>.

Panelists include Gail Zacharilehal, volunteer coordinator, Keene Public Library (NH); and Sonja Plummer-Morgan, director, Mark & Emily Turner Memorial Library (ME).

Teaming Up with Teens @ Your Library - Oct. 25th (ONLINE)
2:00 pm Eastern / 11:00 am Pacific
Early Registration: https://oclc.webex.com/oclc/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=719447798

What is the absolute best avenue to getting teens involved and engaged at your school or public library? How can you encourage them to be peer reader advisors and library advocates in the community? Ultimately, if you want to encourage your teens to become lifelong readers, learners, and library users/supporters-and possibly even choose library work for their future career path-there is no better way to go than offering opportunities for active and involved teen library participation. In this webinar, you will explore ways teens can take part in your library, such as advisory groups, volunteering, short-term projects that use teen's special skills, and partnering with adults. You'll also get tips on planning, organizing, conducting, and evaluating teen participation. When you team up with teens at your library, it's win-win! WebJunction is pleased to host this webinar in collaboration with the Young Adult Library Services Association<http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/yalsa/yalsa.cfm> (YALSA).

Presented by: Kelly M Johnson, office manager & T.A.G. staff liaison, Ketchikan Public Library (AK); and Diane Tuccillo, teen services librarian, Poudre River Public Library District (CO), author of Library Teen Advisory Groups (Scarecrow, 2005) and Teen-Centered Library Service: Putting Youth Participation into Practice (Libraries Unlimited, 2010).

Kris Abery
Connecticut State Library
Continuing Education Coordinator
Tele: 860.704.2206