[CASL-L] Town Hall Meeting Checklist Alert

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 5 10:07:43 PDT 2011

Advocacy is Every Day.

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Jaclyn Finneke <jfinneke at ala.org>
To: aladnow at ala.org
Sent: Thu, August 4, 2011 5:19:04 PM
Subject: [aladnow] FW: [fllan] Town Hall Meeting Checklist Alert

Now that the debt ceiling crisis has been “resolved,” library supporters need to
focus on how we save funding for crucial library programs like the Library
Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and school libraries. There will be deep
financial cuts resulting from the debt agreement and we must work to show why
library finding is not the place to make these cuts. Here’s how you can help in
the month of August:

Step 1: Contact your member’s district office to see if they have any town hall
meetings coming up. You can find contact information for your Congressional
representatives at this site: http://capwiz.com/ala/home/

Step 2: Think of examples and stories of how your local library provides
essential services to your community. Emphasize how these services are free to
users and of a minimal cost to taxpayers. Show your elected officials how
cutting library funding hurts the community, especially in this tough economy.
The ALA Washington Office has resources for you to use.

·         For the latest issue briefs, click here
·         To visit our Advocacy University page, which includes our “Advocating
in a Tough Economy Toolkit,” click here

Step 3: Attend a town hall meeting to share stories and information with your
elected official. As a bonus, you will not only be informing your official but
also other citizens in the audience who may not know about all the resources a
21st century library can provide.

Step 4: Invite your elected official to visit a public or school library to show
them firsthand the services libraries offer. The following resources can help
you set up your meeting:
·         For our “Get Legislators in Your Library” webinar, click here
·         For a list of steps to take in setting up a Congressional visit of
your library, click here

If you have any questions or need additional materials, contact Ted Wegner in
the ALA Washington Office at twegner at alawash.org or 800-941-8478.

Ted Wegner
American Library Association
Washington Office-Office of Government Relations
1615 New Hampshire Avenue N.W., 1st Floor
Washington, DC 20009-2520
Phone: 202-628-8410
Fax: 202-628-8419