[CASL-L] FW: Another impact of the State Library Budget Cuts

Sullivan, William F William.F.Sullivan at ct.gov
Tue Jul 19 07:00:52 PDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Brettschneider, Sharon
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:58 AM
To: conntech at mylist.net
Subject: Another impact of the State Library Budget Cuts

CT Libraries:

As announced last week, the Governor's Budget Balancing Plan includes substantial cuts to the State Library's budget.  Among the reductions are the loss of 10 positions at the State Library.  One of these positions is mine.  Please excuse my presumption of announcing it on Conntech but I wanted to let the library community know before the rumor mill did so.

If you don't mind, I'd like to give a little background to this announcement.  I had shared with Kendall Wiggin my plans to retire early next year, probably in February.  The State Library tried to use the savings from my planned retirement as part of the required budget reduction.  We were not able to do so but when I retire my position will be eliminated.  If instead of eliminating my position now the State Library laid off two entry level librarians it would have meant the net  loss of three positions by early next year.  Another factor is that the Governor has made it clear that he intends to eliminate as many managers as possible and my position is not that secure outside of the current budget mess.  I apologize for giving you more information about all this than you probably wanted to know but I thought it important to explain the logic of this cut.  And remember, all this goes away if the unions and the Governor can agree to the concessions.  If that doesn't happen, my last day will be September 8th.

Thank you,
Sharon

Sharon Brettschneider
Director of Library Development