[CASL-L] State Library Continuing Education Workshops December 2011

Abery, Kris Kris.Abery at ct.gov
Thu Nov 3 07:10:37 PDT 2011

Please excuse the cross posting

The following Connecticut State Library CE workshops have been scheduled for December 2011. To register access the Connecticut Library Continuing Education Calendar of Events @ http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventcalendar.asp

Free iCONN Webinar: PowerSearch and the Reference Desk - Dec. 5th (Online)
Gale's PowerSearch and the Reference Desk - a match like peanut butter and jelly! Tune into this one hour webinar to learn more about integrating PowerSearch into your work at the reference desk and elsewhere in the library. We'll discover how to answer common reference questions as well as how PowerSearch can help with collection development and your own professional development. Do you know how to set up search alerts to automatically let you know when content you want has been added to PowerSearch? Well, you will after this webinar - join us!

Free iCONN Webinar: Using iCONN/Gale Periodicals - Dec. 5th (Online)
What's General OneFile? Should I use it instead of General Reference Center Gold? What can Culinary Arts Collection do for me? This one hour session will focus on the difference between Gale's periodical (InfoTrac) collections - what's in each, which to use when, and why they're available.

Desktop Management Tools for an Efficient Workspace - Dec. 6th (MLSC)
Everyone has heard about computer maintenance, but what about computer management? As librarians, many of us have a difficult time throwing anything away, from books to old emails. Traditionally we are better trained to manage our book collections than our computer files. Computers have become one of the most important tools in librarianship, from holding documents to being the center of communication. In this workshop, we will examine the best practices for organizing files and try out software such as Google Desktop for managing and sharing files.

LinkedIn for Librarians - Dec. 6th (MLSC)
You may have heard of Facebook and MySpace but are you familiar with LinkedIN? This social networking site has become one of the most popular sites for those wanted to create a professional presence on the Internet. In this workshop, we will explore LinkedIn features such as Profiles, Contacts, and Job Searching. We will also examine various "groups" available in the LinkedIn network where we can share ideas, write or receive professional recommendations, as well as enhance our knowledge of library issues.

Excel 2007 Pt.1 & Pt.2 - Dec. 8th (Pt.1) and Dec. 15th (Pt.2) (Danbury PL)
This series of two half-day classes will bring you from novice to advanced professional.

Participants are expected to attend both sessions.
Topics include:

Part 1: December 8, 2011
Entering numbers and text into cells
Creating simple formulas
Using functions
Using the fill handle
Formatting sheets for printing

Part 2: December 15, 2011
Creating advanced functions
Naming cells and ranges
Developing formulas using named cells and ranges
Using 3-D functions to calculate across worksheets
Defining absolute and relative references
Creating elapsed time/day formulas

Accidental Public Relations Manager- or "Help! - I Have To Promote My Library - Dec. 12th (Pt.1) and Dec. 19th (Pt.2) (MLSC)
Are you suddenly responsible for promoting your library's programs or services? Perplexed about how to get coverage in the local press? Can't see to get the word out at the right time and in the right place?

Jennifer Keohane will share tips, how-to's, and do's & don'ts to help you get not only get the word out but to also get the message to the right people. She'll show you how to create a system to effectively maximize your time in promoting your library's programs and services.

You'll learn:
*What is marketing and pr (public relations)
*How to find pr opportunities in your library
*How to create a marketing strategy and promotion plan
*The do's & don't of writing press releases
*The role of social media in library pr
*How & where to focus your pr efforts
*How to evaluate your efforts

Introduction to WordPress for Websites - Dec. 13th (Bristol PL)
Looking for a simple way to have an attractive and useful web presence? One that is easy to maintain as well? Sound too good to be true? Come learn how it can be done with Wordpress. Wordpress is a content management system that lets you create and maintain a website without learning complex & expensive web development software. At the end of the workshop you'll be able to update your Wordpress website from any computer that has an internet connection.

Not sure if you have Wordpress available to you? Check with your website hosting service, they'll be able to help you. There are also services that let you set up a Wordpress site for free. During this workshop we'll provide you with a temporary Wordpress website that you can use as a model for later development.

In this session we'll cover
How Wordpress helps you organize your information
Setting up an easy to update page for news.
Changing the look of your site through the use of themes.
Options for letting people leave comments on your site.
Incorporating content from blogs, flickr and other services.
Adding media content on your pages.
And much more!

Tech Tools for Digital Storytelling & Library PR - Dec. 14th (Bristol PL)
When we think of traditional storytelling, telling tales around a  campfire often comes to mind. And it's those same storytelling skills that are an essential part of giving any sort of effective presentation. In this workshop we'll be exploring digital storytelling and presentation tools. We'll cover how to use a wide range of web-based tools to present "stories" using a variety of digital media, how to find creative commons licensed media to include in presentations and look at ways to create more engaging presentations. These tools can be used in a variety of settings: student projects, library advocacy, gathering stories and local history from patrons and so much more.

Intermediate WordPress for Websites - Dec. 15th (WLSC)
In the basic "WordPress as a Content Management System" workshop you learned how to create Pages to display static content, use Posts to create a news page, select themes to make your site look great and
use widgets to create a sidebar of content for your library site.

In this session you'll learn much more about managing your own
installation of WordPress and customizing your library's WordPress
based web site.

Topics will include:
Tips on keeping your site secure and well maintained.
Using the file editor to make minor edits to theme files.
Customizing CSS to make simple changes to site.
Great plugins that add great features to WordPress.
New WordPress features including the Custom Menus options.
Finding & installing themes and plugins
How to work with Child Themes

Kris Abery
Continuing Education Coordinator