[CASL-L] 2014 HIGH SCHOOL Nutmeg Book Award!!!

Garofalo Lisa lgarofalo at ellingtonschools.net
Mon Oct 17 11:08:18 PDT 2011

Dear CASL members,

We are pleased to announce the inaugural year of a new level to the
Nutmeg Book Award! For 2014, there will be three levels to our
Connecticut Book Award. The Intermediate Award serves students in grades
four through six, the Teen Award is for students in grades seven and
eight, and announcing a High School Award for students in grades nine
through twelve.

We are currently accepting applications for high school readers and for
school or public librarians to be members of the first ever 2014 High
School Nutmeg Selection Committee.

We're looking for dedicated and thoughtful readers currently in grades
10, 11, or 12. Two or three students will be selected to serve on this
committee. The input from these readers is taken very seriously and is
an important part of the selection process. These students should be
willing to read about 60-70 books written for adults or young adults
across a variety of genres and be able to speak clearly and comfortably
in front of a group of adults. If you know any students who would be a
valuable part of this committee, please encourage them to apply.

We also need school or public librarians to be part of the High School
Nutmeg Committee (you must be a member of CASL or CLA). It is a great
opportunity to meet other librarians from across the state and learn
what's new in YA literature. I've been involved with the Nutmeg Book
Award for a few years now and each time I am excited to read so many
excellent books that I might not have chosen on my own.

The committee will meet four or five times in a central location based
on where the committee members live. The meetings typically take place
on a weeknight and run a couple hours (the last meeting may run a little
longer when we choose the 10 nominated books).

Applications are attached to this message and can be returned via email,
mailed, or faxed to either of the 2014 co-chairs:

Lisa Garofalo

Ellington Middle School

46 Middle Butcher Rd

Ellington, CT 06029

phone 860-896-2339 x131
fax 860-896-2366
lgarofalo at ellingtonschools.net

Or

Ann Marie Naples

West Hartford Public Library

20 South Main Street

West Hartford CT 06107

Phone 860-561-6996

Fax 860-561-6976
anaples at westhartford.org

Please respond by November 15, 2011.

If you have any further questions or would like more information, visit
the Nutmeg Book Award website at http://www.nutmegaward.org/ or respond
to one of the chairpeople listed above.

I hope you or your students will consider being part of this wonderful
committee!

Lisa Garofalo

School Librarian

Ellington Middle School & Crystal Lake School

Ellington, CT

lgarofalo at ellingtonschools.net

Co-Chair, 2014 Selection Committee
High School Nutmeg Book Award