[CASL-L] BOOK RECOMMENDATION: Great new Christmas book from author Toni Buzzeo

Tichey-Staack, Mary mticheystaack at ridgefield.org
Tue Sep 20 14:24:31 PDT 2011

    When I finished Lighthouse Christmas by Toni Buzzeo I was
immediately wanting it to be December so I could sit by the fire to
share it with children!  This is a memorable and gentle story of a
family, focusing on the brother and sister who have recently become
motherless, that are now spending their first Christmas on the lonely
lighthouse island off the coast of Maine with their father. It is a
story full of courage, love and sharing, the greatest Christmas gifts of
all.

  Based on the true story of the "Flying Santas" who dropped gift
bundles to the isolated island lighthouses in remote Penobscot Bay, the
beautifully understated illustrations in muted colors by Nancy Carpenter
transport the reader back in time and chill you as you live with the
family in the cold wind out in the bay.

    The author's note by Buzzeo gives background about the Flying Santas
who are still in operation today, and the web link for readers to learn
more.

    A wonderful addition to your Christmas books selection.