[CASL-L] book event at UN Library featuring fmr. CT Poet Laureate

Logan Kleinwaks logan at bookwish.org
Fri Sep 23 13:01:05 PDT 2011

Dear Connecticut School Librarians,

A limited number of seats are available for members of this listserv at a
free, but invitation-only, book event being held October 17, 3:00-5:00 PM,
in the Dag Hammarskjöld Library at UN Headquarters in Manhattan, featuring
former Connecticut Poet Laurate *Marilyn Nelson*, among other top writers
for youth:

*R.L. Stine*, mega-bestselling author of *Goosebumps* & *Fear Street*
*Ann M. Martin*, mega-bestselling author of *The Baby-sitters Club* &
Newbery Honoree for *A Corner of the Universe*
*Karen Hesse*, Newbery Medalist & MacArthur Fellow, author of *Out of the
Dust*
*Marilyn Nelson*, former Poet Laureate of Connecticut, three-time National
Book Award Finalist, & Newbery Honoree, *Carver: A Life in Poems*
*Jeanne DuPrau*, author of *The City of Ember*, ALA Notable Children's Book
*Sofia Quintero*, author of *Efrain's Secret*, Parents' Choice Award winner,
NYC social activist
*Nate Powell*, graphic novelist, author of *Swallow Me Whole*, Eisner Award,
Ignatz Award

and via Skype:

*Meg Cabot*, NYT #1 bestselling author of *The Princess Diaries* and many
other series, ALA Best Book for Young Adults, NYPL Books for the Teen Age
*Nikki Giovanni*, Oprah Winfrey Living Legend, Rosa L. Parks Woman of
Courage, 5 NAACP Image Awards
*Cornelia Funke*, author of *Inkheart*, *The Thief Lord*, *Time* 100 Most
Influential People, two-time Book Sense Book of the Year

These are ten of the eighteen contributors to *What You Wish For* (ISBN
9780399254543), a collection of short stories and poems for ages 12+ that my
charity, Book Wish Foundation, organized to raise funds to establish
libraries in Darfuri refugee camps.  Half of the event will feature a panel
discussion/audience Q&A with these authors, and the other half will feature
speakers from the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) and other experts talking about
the Darfuri refugees the book will help.  We are giving 100% of our proceeds
from the book to UNHCR for the refugee camp libraries.

Any Connecticut school librarians who would like to attend this event should
write to me at logan at bookwish.org with their names, email addresses, and
library affiliations, so that we can send individual invitations.  RSVPs to
those invitations must be received by October 4, due to UN security and
space limitations.  We will make at least 5 seats available to members of
this listserv, and possibly more, but space is limited and this will be on a
first-come, first-served basis.  Anyone responding after the first 5 will be
added to a waiting list.

Separate from this UN event, there will also be a book signing open to the
public on October 17, 7:00-9:00 PM, at Books of Wonder in Manhattan (18 W.
18th Street), featuring the first seven authors listed above.  Any and all
are certainly welcome to come to the signing.  See
http://bookwish.org/events for information about both events.

*What You Wish For*, released September 15 by Penguin/G.P. Putnam's Sons,
also features contributions from the following authors, who are,
unfortunately, not able to attend these events:  John Green, Alexander
McCall Smith, Naomi Shihab Nye, Joyce Carol Oates, Gary Soto, Francisco X.
Stork, Cynthia Voigt, and Jane Yolen.  The stories and poems in the book
share a common theme of wishes, and all were provided free of charge by the
authors to maximize our proceeds for the refugees.  The ALA's
*Booklist*magazine awards a starred review to the collection in its
October 1 issue.

I hope to see you at the UN Library to help launch this special
collaboration of some of today's top writers for young readers.  We would
like for you to be a part of *What You Wish For*, the book and the cause of
bringing libraries to refugee camps.

Best wishes,

Logan Kleinwaks
President, Book Wish Foundation