[CASL-L] the Common Core in HS

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 3 11:46:12 PDT 2012

FYI

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: David loertscher <reader.david at gmail.com>
To: aaslforum at ala.org
Sent: Tue, April 3, 2012 2:08:09 PM
Subject: [aaslforum] Re: some thoughts and questions about the Common Core in HS

There are a number of possibilities for fiction/nonfiction.

1. In high school, Lang. Arts teachers might partner with Social Studies or
Science teachers  or any other discipline in the reading of nonfiction as a part
of a larger learning experience.  If the Teacher librarian sets up a Knowledge
Building Center using Google Sites or LibGuides or Moodle and the two teachers
and the TL plus all the students are in this virtual space together, the entire
project/learning experience can happen collaboratively without the need to meet
together physically.

2. Both a novel and a counterpart nonfiction work could be studied together, for
example a historical fiction alongside a biography. The group could use a
Book2Cloud learning environment to compare and construct meaning across the
bridge of fiction and information. Add a movie of the topic in the mix and a
wide array of Web 2.o tools to curate and you have an engaging mix.

3. For the study of complex texts, use Book2Cloud to have kids and teens curate
around pieces and parts of the text to create deep understanding for the entire
group. This constructivist activity is much more beneficial than a lecture from
the front of the room.  Google Book2Cloud to see examples of what I mean.

4. The Common Core provides TLs with a great opportunity to add both literature
and informational texts into enhanced and higher level learning experiences. Now
is the time to be at the table as the planning is taking place. Inquiry and
technology boosts can fit right into the pursuit of complex texts and you, the
TL can be at the center.

5. Share ideas widely on the creative ways you are supporting the move to more
informational texts yet retaining the wide world of recreational reading and
reading habits. We don't have to make the choice of one or the other.

This is a great form to share these kinds  of ideas.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Sarles Patricia  (18K500)