[CASL-L] copyright question

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 17 13:59:28 PDT 2012

FYI

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Bj Mccracken <Bj_Mccracken at gfps.k12.mt.us>
To: "aaslforum at ala.org" <aaslforum at ala.org>
Sent: Tue, April 17, 2012 3:20:28 PM
Subject: [aaslforum] RE: copyright question

We ran into a problem with techs telling librarians to tape the VHS into DVD
format.  This is the actual law.

Sections 108(b)-(c) permit a library to reproduce both published and
unpublished  works for preservation purposes, but only if certain conditions are
met.  Replacement of published works (such as purchased audiovisual works) is
allowed for purposes of replacing a lost, damaged, stolen, deteriorating or
obsolete copy, but only after the library first makes a reasonable effort to
find an unused replacement at a fair price.  So, a replacement copy may be made
when conditions are met, but creating a backup copy is not permitted under this
section [emphasis added].

BJ McCracken
"In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with
floaties and teach us how to swim."   Linton Weeks

Head Librarian
Great Falls High School
1900 2nd Ave. South
Great Falls, MT  59405