[CASL-L] Fwd: Please share on your state organization's listserv: Invitation to Common Core Standards workshop in September

Michelle Luhtala mluhtala at me.com
Sun Aug 5 19:27:18 PDT 2012

Dear NESLA Collegues,
I am excited to invite you to attend a timely workshop presented by the
Massachusetts School Library Association in September:

Registration in now open at www.regonline.com/CommonCore_MSLA for *Librarians
and the Common Core: Making the Implicit Explicit*, facilitated by Kristin
Fontichiaro from the University of Michigan (see Kristin's bio below).

This 1-day workshop will take place on Saturday, September 22, 2012 at the
Frontier Regional High School Library in South Deerfield, MA from
8:30am-3:30pm. The $95 registration fee includes a light breakfast and
lunch. MSLA accepts payment by check, credit card or purchase order.
Registration is limited to 100 participants.

*Here are the details:*
The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) are bearing down as we prepare for
testing in 2014-2015. What is the role of librarians in helping students
achieve these ever-higher benchmarks?

In this daylong workshop, we'll put our leadership caps on and spend the
day kneading, poking, and peering inside the standards to find points of
connection between CCSS's goals and our professional values. We'll begin
with an overview of the CCSS to clarify and eliminate misconceptions about
CCSS and its intent, then focus our day on the English Language Arts
standards, reviewing major themes, genres, and styles related to
informational text, writing, and research.

Then we'll look at the standards themselves, reading between the lines to
discover what it really takes to achieve a standard like Writing 3.7,
"Conduct short research projects that build knowledge about a topic." While
the wording of the standards may be succinct, the implicit skills hidden
within need to be unpacked before we can help our classroom colleagues plan
and teach robustly. What kinds of procedural or higher-order thinking
skills (from note-taking to synthesis) are explicit in the CCSS
documentation but may be absent within the standards themselves?How do we
turn Informational Text 9-10.8, " Delineate and evaluate the argument and
specific claims in a text, assessing whether the reasoning is valid and the
evidence is relevant and sufficient; identify false statement sand
fallacious reasoning" into meaningful instructional steps?

After lots of discussion (and a bit of laughter about CCSS's
inconsistencies), we'll tackle our back-at-school action plan. You'll
review exit standards and check them against the work you are already doing
-- or could expand your role in doing. Most librarians, in doing this,
discover that their work already aligns quite closely. Whether as a primary
instructor, team teacher, reinforcing teacher, or provider of materials,
you are already working actively toward a CCSS implementation -- you just
may not know it yet! From shifting lessons to anticipating the professional
development your teacher swill need, you matter in this implementation
effort.

We'll end the day by preparing an action plan that you can take back to
building or district administrators, showing your essential contributions
to your school or district's CCSS efforts.

* *
*Kristin Fontichiaro* is a clinical assistant professor at the University
of Michigan School of Information, where she coordinates the school library
media program. In addition, she co-teaches Teaching with Technology in the
UM School of Education. Formerly, she was an elementary school librarian
and professional development facilitator for the Birmingham (MI) Public
Schools and a secondary English teacher in Tennessee.

Her most recent edited volumes are Navigating the Information Tsunami:
Engaging Research Projects that Meet the Common Core State Standards, K-5
(Cherry Lake, June 2012) and Growing Schools: Librarians as Professional
Developers (with Debbie Abilock and Violet H. Harada, Libraries Unlimited,
June 2012).
 In 2011, she edited two eBooks: School Libraries: What's Now, What's Next,
What's Yet to Come (co-edited with Buffy Hamilton) and Information Literacy
in the Wild.
Earlier professional books include 21st-Century Learning in School
Libraries; Active Learning Through Drama, Podcasting, and Puppetry; and
Podcasting at School. With Sandy Buczynski, she is co-author of Story
Starters and Science Notebooking: Developing Student Thinking Through
Literacy and Inquiry. She also writes informational texts for middle grade
readers and has written for Principal Leadership, ASCD Express, Teacher
Librarian, Synergy, and other publications.

Named an Emerging Leader by the American Library Association, Distinguished
Alumna by the Wayne State University Library and Information Science
Program, and a 2012 Library Journal Mover and Shaker, she blogs at
http://bit.ly/fontblog and writes the “Nudging Toward Inquiry” column for
School Library Monthly.
 MSLA accepts payment by check, credit card or purchase order. Registration
is limited to 100 participants.  Register online at
www.regonline.com/CommonCore_MSLA

I'm looking foward to seeing you in the fall!
--
Kathy Lowe, Executive Director
Massachusetts School Library Association
klowe at maschoolibraries.org
Phone/fax: 978-582-6967

MA Learning4Life (L4L) Coordinator and AASL Lesson Plan
Database<http://aasl.jesandco.org>Lead Moderator