[CASL-L] FW: Talking with children about the school shooting

Sullivan, William F William.F.Sullivan at ct.gov
Fri Dec 14 13:53:10 PST 2012

12/14/2012

Some resources for talking with children about the school shooting

HEALTHNET:
CONNECTICUT CONSUMER
HEALTH INFORMATION NETWORK
The attached material is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice or opinion. This information is the result of an extensive search of online resources and represents what we judge to be appropriate information.
You should be aware that medical experts may disagree on the various aspects of situations such as this one.

[cid:image003.jpg at 01CDDA12.A94BB530]
    Healthnet : Connecticut Consumer Health Information Network
       Lyman Maynard Stowe Library – University of Connecticut Health Center
                     P.O. Box 4003    Farmington CT 06034-4003
                                           Telephone: 860/679-4055
                                                                http://library.uchc.edu/departm/hnet

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/aftermath.aspx
Helping your children manage distress in the aftermath of a shooting
>From the American Psychological Association

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/helping-children-and-adolescents-cope-with-violence-and-disasters-parents/how-parents-can-help.shtml
Helping Children and Adolescents Cope with Violence and Disasters: What Parents Can Do/How Parents Can Help
>From the National Institute of Mental Health

http://www.nctsn.org/nctsn_assets/pdfs/age_related_reactions.pdf
Age-Related Reactions to a Traumatic Event
>From the National Child Traumatic Stress Network

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/children_and_the_news
Children and the News
>From American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=education_brochures_coping_unexpected_events
Coping With Unexpected Events: Depression and Trauma
SEE SECTION:  Helping and Talking with Children
>From the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA)

http://www.aacap.org/galleries/default-file/Talking_to_kids_aurora_shooting.pdf
Tips for Talking to Children about the Aurora Shooting
>From American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

Alberta Richetelle, Program Director
richetelle at nso.uchc.ed<mailto:richetelle at nso.uchc.ed>

Judith Kronick, Reference Librarian
kronick at uchc.edu<mailto:kronick at uchc.edu>

Healthnet: Connecticut Consumer Health  Information Network
http://library.uchc.edu/departm/hnet/
Lyman Maynard Stowe Library
University of Connecticut Health Center

"Your Connecticut resource for free, authoritative consumer health information"