[CASL-L] call to action

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 4 06:51:15 PDT 2012

Read the beginning of this article and use the link to see the whole.  Email
Julius Genachowski and let him know what we do and to give school libraries the
money he would spend!!!
“The new divide is such a cause of concern for the Federal Communications
Commission that it is considering a proposal to spend $200 million to create a
digital literacy corps. This group of hundreds, even thousands, of trainers
would fan out to schools and libraries to teach productive uses of computers for
parents, students and job seekers.”
Looks like the FCC has no idea that our schools have a ready-made “digital
literacy corps” in place.
Chairman Julius Genachowski was quoted in the article.  He recognizes the
importance of digital literacy, but he is ill-informed. He does not know that
there are already trained professionals in many schools who work, against great
odds at times, to train our students and who volunteer to teach parents these
skills.
Let’s not let him claim ignorance before spending this money.  Here's the rest
of the article:

http://informania.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/calling-school-librarians-to-action-another-attempt-to-undermine-our-jobs/