[CASL-L] Fw: Webinar to feature discussion between ALA President and President-Elect

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 5 10:17:04 PDT 2012

FYI

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: ALA Office for Library Advocacy <jfinneke at ala.org>
To: kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Sent: Tue, June 5, 2012 11:44:54 AM
Subject: Webinar to feature discussion between ALA President and President-Elect

Webinar to feature discussion between ALA President and President-Elect
Free webinar to feature ALA President and President-Elect discussing the focus
of association, presidential initiatives
 “Passing the Community Engagement Baton: A Conversation with ALA President
Molly Raphael and ALA President-elect Maureen Sullivan,” hosted by ALA 2013-2014
ALA President Barbara Stripling, features an unprecedented conversation among
ALA leadership, focusing on the transition of presidential initiatives and a
continued focus on civic engagement. It takes place on Friday, June 8 at 11:30
a.m. Central time.
“The more we in libraries engage with the communities we serve, the better we
can understand how the library can contribute to transforming those
communities,” said 2011-2012 ALA President Molly Raphael. “By really
understanding the priorities of communities, we can ensure that libraries
contribute to communities thriving in the 21st century.
” Raphael started the conversation about harnessing the evolving role of
libraries and strengthening the library’s understanding of community aspirations
during her presidential year. This webinar allows attendees to be part of the
conversation as ALA President Elect Maureen Sullivan looks to build on this idea
of civic engagement during her presidential year, which begins at the close of
the 2012 ALA Annual Conference in June.
“Libraries are central to community engagement and ALA is uniquely positioned to
prepare its members in all types of libraries to be leaders in community
collaboration to solve problems and improve the life of the community. Rich
Harwood of the Harwood Institute for Public Innovation will partner with ALA to
develop an ALA program that will enable us to realize ‘the promise of libraries
in transforming communities,’” said Sullivan.
Barbara Stripling is Co-Chair of Raphael’s Empowering Voices, Transforming
Communities task force and was just elected ALA President for the 2013-2014
year. She will facilitate this discussion on how to engage communities to
advocate for libraries and their value based on factors that matter to
communities and their leaders.
Registration for the June 8 webinar is mandatory. Visit
http://maildogmanager.com/link.html?url=3749&client=ala1&campaign=1119&email=kwidz@sbcglobal.net
 to sign up today.
This webinar is part of a series of Empowering Voices, Transforming Communities
webinars that showcase how libraries around the country are engaging
communities. It is sponsored by the ALA Committee Library Advocacy. More
information is available at www.ala.org/advocacy/advleg/empoweringvoices.
Disclaimer: You have received this email message because the ALA Office for
Library Advocacy believes you will benefit from this information. Your email
address was specifically selected from the ALA membership database for this
message. This is not a recurring communication or electronic list. If you
believe that you received this message in error and/or do not wish to receive
further emails, please visit http://www.ala.org and login and set your
communication preferences.

Trouble viewing this email? Go to:
http://maildogmanager.com/page.html?p=0000015Fu8vj4XV3hX2OTlmpq+ZGwhkS0=&email=kwidz@sbcglobal.net

 Crafted and delivered by the American Library Association's Mail Dog!