[CASL-L] ALA statement on Random House eBook pricing

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 2 13:56:00 PST 2012

FYI

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Sara Kelly Johns <skjohns at gmail.com>
To: aaslforum at ala.org; SLMS-School Library Media <nyla-slms at lm.nyla-omc.org>
Sent: Fri, March 2, 2012 4:32:24 PM
Subject: [aaslforum] Fwd: [alacoun] ALA statement on Random House

FYI...300% ! Sara

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Emily Sheketoff <esheketoff at alawash.org>
Date: Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Subject: [alacoun] ALA statement on Random House
To: alacro-l at ala.org, alacoun at ala.org

Random House increase ebook prices…
http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2012/03/ebooks/librarians-feel-sticker-shock-as-price-for-random-house-ebooks-rise-as-much-as-300-percent/

Here’s the ALA statement on Random House:
http://www.ala.org/news/pr?id=9560
ALA calls on Random House to reconsider major ebook price increase
CHICAGO – The American Library Association (ALA) is calling on publisher Random
House to reconsider its decision to raise the price of ebooks to the library
market starting March 1. ALA President Molly Raphael issued the following
statement:
“While I appreciate Random House’s engagement with libraries and its commitment
to perpetual access,” Raphael said, “I am deeply disappointed in the severe
escalation in ebook pricing reported today. Calling on our history together and
our hope to satisfy mutual goals moving forward, the American Library
Association strongly urges Random House to reconsider its decision. In a time of
extreme financial constraint, a major price increase effectively curtails access
for many libraries, and especially our communities that are hardest hit
economically.
“Also, ALA appreciates the data gaps that exist, and we commit to work quickly
and collaboratively to address this concern. We must have better data to inform
decisions that have such wide and deep implications.
“Finally, we recognize and thank those publishers and aggregators that have
worked with libraries on e-book lending models at a time of significant
disruption and change. Libraries must have the ability to purchase a wide range
of digital content at a fair price so that all readers have full access to our
world’s creative and cultural resources, especially those who depend on
libraries as their only source of reading material.
“Libraries belong at the center of this digital revolution, not on the
periphery. We continue to seek partners to further our shared goals of
connecting readers and authors well into the 21st century.”
As posted on the e-content blog (same statement):
http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/e-content/ala-calls-random-house-reconsider-major-ebook-price-increase

--
Sara Kelly Johns, School Librarian
Lake Placid Middle/High School Library
johns at northnet.org
skjohns at gmail.com

"All knowledge is spendable currency, depending on the market"--Maya Angelou, I
Know Why the Caged Bird Sings