[CASL-L] The Age of Imagination --- The Maker Faire

Bill Derry billderry at optonline.net
Fri Mar 16 13:15:29 PDT 2012

Hi,
Last November I attended the Internet Librarians conference in CA where John
Seely Brown talked about the future of libraries.
He said that he thought we were through the information age and have entered
the imagination age, and suggested that libraries focus on making, playing
and tinkering. He talked about the phenomena of the Maker Faires.
For more information on the Maker Movement --- Ted Talk ­ Dale Dougherty ­
We Are Makers : http://www.ted.com/talks/dale_dougherty_we_are_makers.html

One local person who attended a Maker Faire decided he wanted to create a
Maker Faire, and the Westport Library has partnered with him and his
organization (CLASP Homes), and have applied to the Maker Faire group for a
³mini maker license.²
We are now licensed and working on a ONE DAY Maker Faire for April 28th at
the Westport Library and outside on the Jesup Green under a big tent.

Lots of kids are getting involved in this in many ways! I know that in
school libraries we have moved from consumption to much more emphasis on
production and experience so I see the Maker Faire movement as very
connected to library media centers.

I¹m sending this to the listserv for three purposes (at least):
1.) to add awareness of this cultural movement toward making, playing and
tinkering (in libraries) ---- watch this video to find out about the first
FABSPACE set up in the NY Fayatteville Public Library
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCXlJ36x-q0
2.) to ask if anyone else is noticing an evolution of public libraries to
more of a learning institution and school libraries toward a more public or
group owned space in a school (learning commons)
3.) to let you know about the Westport Mini Maker Faire, and to become a
Maker ­ go to:  http://westportmakerfaire.org

Would love to get some feedback if this resonates in some way with you!
Thanks,
Bill

billderry at optonline.net
Retired LMS

Bill Derry, Assistant Director, Innovation and User Experience
Westport Public Library
20 Jesup Road
Westport, CT 06880
bderry at westportlibrary.org