[CASL-L] Connecticut Students in the Rainforest

Sara Kelley-Mudie librarian.skm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 17:36:05 PDT 2012

The Forman School (where I work) has been sending a group of student
researchers to the Costa Rican rainforest for 20 years. Students work with
leading researchers to do original research and develop an appreciation and
understanding of tropical ecology. You can read more about the project on
our website <http://www.formanschool.org/academics/rain-forest-project>.
It's truly an incredible project.

This year I've started working with them on sharing their work with a wider
audience. We've started a blog (
http://formanrainforestproject.wordpress.com/), where students have shared
the papers they wrote before leaving to do their research.

We also have a Flickr account
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/76572714@N07/>and a YouTube
channel <http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvrheCxB42pZxiKzulqRseA/videos>.
We're just in the beginning stages of adding content to all of them, but
what's there is pretty cool, if I do say so myself (just check out the
video of the leaf cutter ants if you don't believe me).

Please share this with the teachers and students in your schools, and
encourage them to post questions to the blog. I'll be interviewing students
to answer the questions and to help us all learn more about their
experiences.

And, if all goes according to plan, I'll be joining them in the rainforest
next year in order to live blog the experience!

Best,
Sara

Sara Kelley-Mudie
CASL Vice President
CECA/CASL Conference Co-chair
Library Director and Educational Technology Facilitator
The Forman School
librarian.skm at gmail.com
http://kmthelibrarian.blogspot.com/