[CASL-L] Conference follow-up

Sara Kelley-Mudie librarian.skm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 10:40:48 PST 2012

Dear CASL Members,

I hope everyone is recovering from Sandy and the first snow storm of the
season. It has been quite the fall.

I know many of you were disappointed by the cancellation of the CECA/CASL
Conference, and I share that disappointment. Thank you to all who have
shared their support for this difficult decision. We have found ourselves
in a rather unprecedented situation, and I have been working closely with
my conference co-chair and the conference registrar to develop a refund
plan. Details will be sent to the districts and individuals who registered
soon; thank you for your patience as we develop a plan that will allow you
to maintain your memberships in your professional organizations.

We also know that many of you are disappointed at having missed the
professional development opportunities and connections you look forward to
at the Conference each year. The CASL Board is working on a number of
different plans for ongoing professional development throughout the year.
I've been working with CLC to make connections between
Roundtable<http://ctlibrarians.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=19#.UJvDXESr9aE>hosts
and interested presenters. I'd encourage you to check out and attend
a Roundtable through CLC; these meetings are a great way to connect with
and find support from other school librarians in your area. More
information can be found at the CLC
website<http://ctlibrarians.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=19#.UJvDXESr9aE>
.

Most of our presenters have also agreed to make their presentations
available online. You can find them on the CECA
website<http://www.ceca-ct.org/page.php?pid=166>,
and they will be on the CASL <http://ctcasl.com> website soon.
**
On another note, below, please also find information on the Milton Fisher
Scholarship for Innovation and Creativity. A flyer with more information is
attached.

*The Milton Fisher Scholarship for Innovation and Creativity*
Hi librarians! Do you know any students pursuing their own unusual and
talented interests? The Milton Fisher Scholarship is not a traditional
scholarship focused on rewarding academic achievement and financial need.
Its specific goal is to reward and encourage innovative and creative
problem solving. If you can think of...

-a student who has come up with a distinctive solution to a problem faced
by your school, community, or family

-a student who has solved an artistic, scientific, or technical problem in
new or unusual ways, or

-a student who has developed an innovative way to save the environment or
improve people's health
  then please encourage them to apply! The deadline for the next cycle of
awards is April 30th, 2013. The application and scholarship details are
available on our web site: http://www.rbffoundation.org/

Thank you for your support, and I look forward to connecting with all of
you throughout the school year. Please do not hesitate to contact me with
questions.

Sara

Sara Kelley-Mudie
CASL President
CECA/CASL Conference Co-chair
Library Director and Educational Technology Facilitator
The Forman School
librarian.skm at gmail.com
http://kmthelibrarian.blogspot.com/