[CASL-L] Alternative to The Gingerbread Man

Irene K kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 14 13:48:45 PST 2012

I always loved Jan Brett's The Mitten. You can compare the knitted mitten with Tresselt's leather mitten. Aylesworth and Kellogg also have mitten books. Compare & contrast is CCSS. Students can discuss the various animals in the story, analyze how the illustrations forecast the next animal to enter the mitten, collect mittens for children in need, write poems or wishes for peace on mitten templates, learn how to knit, Skype w/ the author & go on her website that has templates & activities. TeachingBooks. Net has some great resources for the book & lesson plans & CCSS links; they offer a free trial.

Sent from my iPhone