[CASL-L] ALA Launches E-book Media & Communications Toolkit

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 27 11:12:06 PST 2012

Today, ALA released the highly anticipated e-book media toolkit (the press
release is pasted below). The toolkit includes op-ed and press release templates
for library supporters interested in informing the public of the role that
libraries  play in building literate and knowledgeable communities.

We ask that you share news of the ebook media toolkit by sending your contacts
to the toolkit at www.ala.org/ebooktoolkit (or if you blog, to the District
Dispatcharticle at http://wp.me/p1zex0-2u5). Thank you.

Warm regards,

Jazzy Wright
Press Officer
American Library Association, Washington Office
(202) 628-8410, ext. 8208
jwright at alawash.org
www.districtdispatch.org
ALA Launches E-book Media & Communications Toolkit

As several large book publishers continue to deny libraries access to their
e-books, and others make e-books available under difficult terms, libraries find
themselves  unable to provide the reading and educational materials demanded by
their patrons. As a result, many librarians are asking, “What can I do to
advocate for fair e-book lending practices?”

To assist libraries in informing the public about e-book lending practices, the
American Library Association (ALA) released today the “ALA  E-book Media &
Communications Toolkit,” a set of materials that will support librarians in
taking action in their communities.

Developed by the ALA’s Digital Content and Libraries Working Group (DCWG), the
toolkit includes op-ed and press release templates for library supporters
interested in  informing the public of the role that libraries play in building
literate and knowledgeable communities. Additionally, the toolkit provides
guidance on ways to use the media templates, as well as ALA talking points,
e-book data, and public service announcement  scripts.

“The library community cannot sit by while publishers openly refuse to sell
libraries the e-books that they need to serve their patrons,” said ALA President
Maureen Sullivan,  who recently led several library meetings with publishers.
“Librarians and our allies must speak out more forcefully in communities across
the country. Everyone needs to know that libraries offer e-books and 21st
century library services, but we are unable to offer all the e-reading choices
our patrons  demand and deserve.”

The Digital Content & Libraries Working Group, a representative group made up of
27 ALA members from various types of libraries, advises the Association on
issues related to libraries and digital content,  and the provision of equitable
access to digital content for all. The group has developed a number of other
resources about e-books, including the report “Ebook  Business Models for Public
Libraries,” a digital rights management “Tip Sheet,” and an E-Content supplement
to American Libraries magazine.

To view the communications toolkit, visit
www.ala.org/transforminglibraries/ebooktoolkit. All questions about the media
toolkit should be sent to Jazzy Wright, press officer of the ALA Washington
Office, at jwright at alawash.org.

###
About the American Library Association

The American Library Association is the oldest and largest library association
in the world, with approximately 60,000 members in academic, public, school,
government,  and special libraries. The mission of the American Library
Association is to provide leadership for the development, promotion and
improvement of library and information services and the profession of
librarianship in order to enhance learning and ensure access  to information for
all.

###

--
Sara Kelly Johns, School Librarian
Lake Placid Middle/High School Library
johns at northnet.org
skjohns at gmail.com

"All knowledge is spendable currency, depending on the market"--Maya Angelou, I
Know Why the Caged Bird Sings