[CASL-L] You are all invited to participate in a Banned Websites Awareness Day Project

Michelle Luhtala luhtala.michelle at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 15:24:58 PDT 2012

Copied and pasted from my
blog<http://mluhtala.blogspot.com/2012/09/banned-websites-awareness-day-project.html>
:

Excerpted from crosspost<http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/neverendingsearch/2012/09/02/michelles-orientation-our-bwad-e-book/>
 on Joyce Valenza <https://twitter.com/joycevalenza>'s Never Ending
Search<http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/neverendingsearch> blog
in School Library Journal <http://www.slj.com/>.

Wednesday October 3rd is the American Association of School Librarians'
(AASL) Banned Websites Awareness Day
<http://www.ala.org/aasl/advocacy/bwad> (#BWAD
on Twitter), which provides all policy makers, educators, parents, and
students with an opportunity to talk about the impact of arbitrary
filtering and overly restrictive policy in K-12 learning environments.  The
librarian community is championing this initiative, and we're engaged in a
conversation about it with authors, policy-makers, bloggers, educators and
students.

To celebrate Banned Websites Awareness
Day<http://www.ala.org/aasl/advocacy/bwad> (#BWAD
on Twitter), we are compiling a collaborative presentation.

We are looking for testimonials and pictures - a response to the question, "
*How does filtering constrain your learning, and your personal and
professional growth?*" accompanied by a photo that can be added to your
comment in the presentation.

You can participate several ways.

   - *Post your responses* and *links to your photos* in the comments field
   below this blog post OR
   - email them to me <me at bibliotech.me> OR
   - create your own
slide<http://how%20does%20filtering%20constrain%20your%20learning%2C%20and%20your%20personal%20and%20professional%20growth/?>.
   Instructions follow the presentation below.

The instructions for creating a slide follow, but they are also in the
presentation itself:

   - Click on the red + in top left corner to add a slide
   - Click on Slide -> Change layout in navigation menu to change your
   slide's layout Include your name and role in education (parent, educator,
   student, author, etc). You can be specific or vague, depending on your
   comfort level.
   - Include a photo or avatar
   - Hyperlink contact information you are willing to publicly share
   (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, email, etc)
   - Include link to your blog or website if you have one
   - Answer: "How does Internet filtering constrain your learning, and your
   personal and professional growth?" It can be brief or long, but it helps to
   keep it on one slide. If it gets really long, feel free to turn it into a
   public document or blog post, write a synopsis on the slide and include a
   *read more* link on your slide.

*Celebrate the freedom to read and learn with American Association of
School Librarians <http://ala.org/aasl> (AASL) on Banned Websites Awareness
Day (October 3, 2012 <http://ala.org/aasl/bwad>. Learn more about the 2011
event in the New York
Times<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/29/education/29banned.html>
.*

Michelle Luhtala
Library Department Chair, New Canaan High School
Professional Learning Facilitator, edweb.net <http://edweb.net/emergingtech>
Region I Director-Elect, American Association of School Librarians (AASL)
Board of Directors
Blog: Bibliotech.me <http://bibliotech.me/>
luhtala.michelle at gmail.com
(817) 458 8692