[CASL-L] Seats Available: Intermediate PC Maintenance (WLSC)

Abery, Kris Kris.Abery at ct.gov
Mon Apr 15 10:39:54 PDT 2013

The following workshops have been scheduled for May 9th at the Willimantic Library Service Center. To register access the Continuing Education Calendar of Events @ http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventcalendar.asp

Intermediate PC Maintenance - Thursday, May 9th (WLSC)
No matter how new your computer is, many times it seems to run slower than the old computer it's replacing. Much of this is due to free demo software that come pre-installed on your brand new machine. In this half-day workshop, we'll investigate the various methods available for weeding through software. We'll discuss how to identify software that is useful, unnecessary, or even problematic and the proper methods for removing it safely from your computer. Some of the tools we will cover are the Systems Configuration Utility, Autorun, CCleaner, Recuva, as well as starting your PC in 'Safe Mode'.

Open Source Spotlight: Edit Photos For Free With GIMP - Thursday, May 9th (WLSC)
Every library has a camera for taking pictures of events and programs. Unfortunately, not all photos are perfect and may require retouching. Thankfully GIMP is a great image editing creation tool available to us for FREE. There is no need to purchase expensive software. GIMP has the tools necessary to cleaning up those images and getting them ready for email, print and publishing on our websites, blogs and Facebook pages. In this workshop, we'll cover tools for cutting, resizing, cropping, touch-ups, and adding filters to modify images or create new graphics from scratch.

Kris Abery
Continuing Education Coordinator
Connecticut State Library
231 Capitol Avenue