[CASL-L] Seats Available: Tech Tools Update, Feb. 20th (Danbury PL) & Digital Story Telling, Feb. 22nd (Avon PL)

Abery, Kris Kris.Abery at ct.gov
Mon Feb 4 12:58:35 PST 2013

The following workshops have been scheduled for February  2013. To register access the Continuing Education Calendar of Events @ http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventcalendar.asp

Tech Tools Update - Wed., Feb. 20th (Danbury PL)

Need a chance to catch up with the ever-changing stream of new (and not so news) tech tools? There's always something new that sounds interesting, fun and maybe even useful! But sometimes it's hard to find time to test them out and figure out what to do with them. During this workshop we'll look at social media services that can help you connect with your community, as well as productivity tools that can help you during your workday. You'll have a chance to explore lots of tools (new and old!) and share ideas with your colleagues. You'll come away with some new tips and tricks in your tool-kit and and decide which tools are right for you, your library, your community. Topics covered will include: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and other electronic elements (QR codes, cloud computing, etc.) No question is too silly, bring them all!!  Register @ http://bit.ly/SdQ44j

Digital Story Telling - Fri., Feb. 22nd (Avon PL)

When we think of traditional storytelling, telling tales around a campfire often comes to mind. And it's those same storytelling skills that are an essential part of giving any sort of effective presentation. In this workshop we'll be exploring digital storytelling and presentation tools. We'll cover how to use a wide range of web-based tools to present "stories" using a variety of digital media, how to find creative commons licensed media to include in presentations and look at ways to create more engaging presentations. These tools can be used in a variety of settings: student projects, library advocacy, gathering stories and local history from patrons and so much more.

Basic PC Maintenance - Mon., Feb. 25th (Middletown LSC)

We use computers daily, but do we understand what happens inside our PCs the moment you press the round button? Knowing the basic processes of a computer will help you better maintain and trouble shoot it. In this hands-on workshop we'll learn some simple tips to keep your PC running longer and faster.

This workshop will cover:

*The internal components of a computer,

*Concepts such as software, hardware, Operating Systems, & Drivers

*Preventative maintenance

*Physical maintenance

*Defragging your PC

*Backup methods

*PC security

Register @ http://bit.ly/UVfnFk

February OCLC/Webjunction Webinars:

OCLC: Self-Directed Achievement: If You Give Library Staff An Hour - Feb. 7th (ONLINE)

This webinar shares how staff at the Tooele City Library implemented a "Self-Directed Achievement" model for staff development.

"Set one training goal each week achievable in one hour." This simple directive was given to every staff member of one Utah library in September 2011. The result just one year later? A sustainable, positive culture transformation. The mechanism, called "Self-Directed Achievement," is a consistent, agile, individualized approach to staff development in a climate of constant change. It champions the basic library principle of lifelong learning. It is achievable for every individual with any level of expertise. And its impact will ripple through your organization from the staff work room to public lounge areas. Following this webinar, you will understand the model, mechanics, individual accountability, and supervisory responsibility involved in this remarkable method...and you'll want to do it too.

Register @ http://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/Self_Directed_Achievement.html

OCLC: The Future of Online Learning: A Changing Landscape - Feb. 27th (Online)

Join us as we explore what education innovators are doing to increase engagement through learner-centered discovery, flipped classrooms, and enhanced online learning. As a leader in online learning for ten years, WebJunction has watched the practice evolve from the earliest webinars to the latest in social media tools. We know it has enriched lifelong learning opportunities, yet we also know the possibilities are still expanding. Join us as we explore what education innovators are doing to increase engagement through learner-centered discovery, flipped classrooms, and enhanced online learning. Let's learn from each other in this interactive webinar. Help us map a future for elearning so WebJunction can better support your lifelong learning journey.

Register @ http://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/Future_of_Online_Learning.html

ONLINE LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES: WEBJUNCTION CONNECTICUT

If you are unable to attend a workshop visit  WebJunction Connecticut to find over 350 online courses http://www.webjunction.org/partners/connecticut.html

To Preview the Course Catalog:  https://oclc.plateau.com/plateau/user/site/browseCatalog.do  OR  Request Course Access visit: https://www.webjunction.org/find-training/request-access/

Free online courses for Connecticut library staff through the WebJunction Connecticut website. The course list includes, but is not limited to:

A+ Essentials 2009: Troubleshooting Computers and Printers

Accompanying the Young Reader: Helping the Reader Choose Appropriate Books (LibraryU)

Basic Presentation Skills: Delivering a Presentation

Customer Service Fundamentals: Building Rapport

Developing Motivating Messages (LibraryU)

Google(tm) Apps

JavaScript Language Basics

Keeping It Simple: Developing a Marketing Plan for Your Library

Marketing Essentials

Merchandising That Works

OpenOffice

Readers Advisory Services