[CASL-L] HIT: iPads in the library

Tichey-Staack, Mary mticheystaack at ridgefield.org
Fri Jan 25 10:23:25 PST 2013

THANK YOU ALL!

I received several responses to my question of justifying iPads in the elementary school library and I have just begun to put them into some kind of format.  I truly appreciate the feedback from those of you who have direct experience with using them with students.  Included in this hit are resources that were recommended to me and data that will directly help me draft my argument. Responses are tagged as things I can justify the purchase of the iPad: REASONS/USES, things that might dissuade purchase or use of iPads in the library: THOUGHTS, RESOURCES are self-explanatory, and at the end was a question posted and responses to that by others.  Hope this helps you, it will certainly help me.

Many thanks!!
Mary E. Tichey-Staack, Teacher-Librarian
Branchville Elementary School
40 Florida Road
Ridgefield, CT 06877
mticheystaack at ridgefield.org<mailto:mticheystaack at ridgefield.org>
203-544-7980 x2137

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me NOW!  It is fun to have fun  But you have to know how."
Dr. Seuss
Currently Reading: Cold Cereal by Rex

*        RESOURCES: Check the CASL ning under the 2.0 tools forum<http://ctcasl.ning.com/forum/topics/web-20-tools> tab.  The 2012 Horizon Report under the Resources tab would be useful.   Do a search in EdWeb<http://www.edweb.net> on the iPad.  Two of the EdWeb communities that I follow Emerging Tech and Mobile Learning discuss iPad use.  Check out Patrick Larkin's blog<http://www.patrickmlarkin.com>

*        REASONS/USES: I think the first thing that we stress to everyone is that the iPad isn't a computer, nor does it try to be. On the other hand, an iPad can truly be anything that you choose to make it: a reader, creator, consumer, organizer, response system, musical instrument... I've been telling teachers to think of it like an empty cardboard box. It can be a box, or a castle, or a rocketship, or a cave, or....However, the true power of the iPad lies in its mobility, touch screen, cameras, accelerometer/orientation capabilities, and geo-location services. When thinking about implementation and transformation, keeping those items in mind helps to frame new ways of approaching student interaction with content, capabilities, and the world around them.  Additionally, because of the ability to create and manage digital content with and for the iPad, the role of the teacher has the potential to change. Schools are starting to see these devices as change agents simply because they provide educators with an easy tool through which they can attempt to transform their classes. With iPads, it's possible to re-invision the role of the teacher to be less of a coach and more of a curator of information. Teachers can provide a set of learning objects that are individualized to each student, allowing them to interact with content through a variety of modalities and means that were not previously possible. While this could happen in a laptop program, the iPad makes it easier - especially with regard to then taking notes and annotating information in order to demonstrate understanding.  It is a mobile recording device (audio & video), editing device (audio, video, images & text) and publishing platform (blogs, wikis, websites, video to YouTube, Audio to YouTube / SoundCloud).
Take all of the above and throw it together into a device that doesn't need a manual and can be figured out by nearly any student in a matter of minutes, and it clearly becomes the front runner for mobile devices in schools. Add to itApple's new pricing platform for iPad 2s ($100 markdown due to the New iPad), and their new Apple protection plan ($99 covers devices even for accidental damage), and the pot becomes even richer.  Published screencasts to YouTube (Explain Everything)
*        Recorded, edited & published podcasts to SoundCloud (Garageband)
*        Recorded, edited & published video to YouTube & Vimeo (iMovie)
*        Published blog posts (Posterous via email)
*        Bookmarked research material to a collaborative Diigo Group (Diigo Bookmarklet)
*        Written papers (Pages)
*        Exported documents to cloud storage accounts (Dropbox & SendtoDropbox)
RESOURCES:iPads for Education<http://www.ipadsforeducation.vic.edu.au/1-to-1-learning-success> and iPad 4 Schools<http://ipad4schools.org> Summary

REASONS/USES:
Feels more natural to hold

  *   Better cameras
  *   Even less intrusive in the classroom
  *   Better for reading
  *   Dictation and Siri
  *   Less weight means less RSI issues

REASONS/USES: One extra great experience was the complete iCloud backup transfer from one iPad to the other - Amazing! All apps, files, data and settings - all over wireless at school. I love Apple!

RESOURCE: 50 of the Best Resources for iPads in Education<http://www.teachthought.com/apps-2/50-of-the-best-resources-fo-ipads-in-education/> 12/28/12 TeachThought blog  50 Of The Best Resources On iPads In Education<http://gettingsmart.com/cms/blog/2012/12/ipad-resources-sources-tools/>
RESOURCE: For more thinking and resources on mobile learning and iPad classroom integration, see also TeachThought's 10 Most Popular Posts on iPad Integration<http://www.teachthought.com/ipad-2/teachthoughts-most-popular-posts-on-ipad-integration/>
THOUGHTS: Sticking Points

*        These are the top five issues libraries face when it comes to using ereaders and tablets in school.

*             1) Platform lock-in and lack of interoperability

*             2) Administering devices

*             3) Availability of the titles students and teachers want

*             4) Integration of the ebook catalog with the library catalog

*             5) Cost of both devices and ebook

*        REASONS/USES:  Chicago Public Schools  (CPS)  has begun to adopt iPads. More than 20 of its libraries have purchased at least one, and five district libraries have received 32 Apple tablets, a MacBook, and a syncing cart as part of a grant-funded "iPads in the Library" program. The participating librarians have been documenting their experiences and posting recommendations about the best practices on a wiki<https://mobilary.wikispaces.com/ipads>. The resources include rubrics for assessing ebooks and apps, sample student contracts, tips on how to physically tag iPads for syncing and circulation, and information about buying through Apple's Volume Purchasing Program.

*        THOUGHTS:  Even with all the excitement about iPads' educational potential, there are still plenty of hurdles to making them work smoothly in libraries. "Apple doesn't allow ebooks to be included in its Volume Purchasing Program," Perez notes, "so we can't leverage our collective purchasing power. In addition, we need a cloud-based solution, so we don't have to sync certain books to specific iPads. The current process works for a classroom teacher who may want 32 identical iPads, but it isn't efficient for a librarian who needs different devices. We would love to see the ability to buy [books via the iBookstore] at discounted prices and house them on iCloud in accounts associated with each school."

*        THOUGHTS:  The syncing of devices-getting the right content onto the right device (or devices) or associated with the right account (or accounts)-remains a labor-intensive venture, as Parker can tell you. It's one of the striking reminders of how tablets and ereaders are designed for the individual consumer with one account. Despite the growing popularity of these devices in schools and libraries, some of the major hardware makers-Amazon and Apple, primarily-have been slow to accommodate the needs of those who are implementing these devices at a large (school or classroom) scale.

*        REASONS/USES:  These are all great! I am also using iPads to allow students to use the OPAC "in hand"'as they search for books to check out. Also, I have created book trailers using the aurasma app. Students just hold the iPad over the book cover and it triggers a book trailer that I have recorded from you tube... Very awesome. Hope this helps. And did you say an iPad? Not iPads? We have 30 and a bretford storage, syncing, charging cart. Don't know what we did without them!

*        REASONS/USES:  Also we have purchased an apple tv that allows for the iPad screen to be projected on to an HDTV wirelessly. Awesome for group presentations. Using AirPlay you can switch multiple iPad screens in and out within seconds.

*        REASONS/USES:  Common core: something like a checklist of skills you want to see your students using. One librarian is using a spreadsheet and just ticks off the skill as the child masters it. I downloaded a program to try recently and sadly haven't had a chance to explore it yet.

*        REASONS/USES:  If you have students without computers in their homes it is a way to bring them computing power by lending ipads.

*        REASONS/USES:  Follett has a free app that lets you download ebooks from Destiny.

*        REASONS/USES:  Librarians would use them AT the shelves with the students and increase contact time in helping them locate materials and to do readers' advisory right at the shelves which would help in a library where the computers aren't physically close to the shelves.

*        REASONS/USES:  You could also use them for collection building AT the shelves and see what needs to be replaced and you add that to your lists online or in a document.

*        REASONS/USES:  Weeding would be easier as you could pull up data on books and find out if they are out of print, and/or if a replacement title is available so you can make a decision about keeping or weeding AT the shelves, avoids costly mistakes and makes the collection more robust and diverse.

*        REASONS/USES:  There are lots of apps for picture books that have interactive components that you can use with small groups.

*        REASONS/USES:  You can also use them for the multimedia component to show book trailers or images that connect with titles you are book talking, storytime, etc., especially on the fly and in classrooms.

*        REASONS/USES:  Skyping with authors would be cool, you could hand the iPad to the student who is asking a question and they could directly interact with the author.

*        REASONS/USES:  Also using iPad as in input device in a group using a wifi connection through laptop Miller

*        REASONS/USES:  We have a set (5) that gets check out by teachers. They are starting to get more and more use as a center activity.  If you are getting one it could be used by struggling readers to view/read interactive books in the library or in class.

*        REASONS/USES:  Also great for taking photos which you can send right away to your email.

*        REASONS/USES:  Another benefit to having iPads in the classroom/library is that there are tons of sights to listen to recorded books, such as Tumble Books and other sites. It would also give the opportunity for students to create podcasts. With all the apps available, the opportunities are limitless. iPads are a great technology tool!  iPads give students a medium to create and share content with others. This allows for collaboration and communication for enhanced learning.  iPads give students a way to collect data outside of the walls of the classroom.

*        THOUGHTS:  My district tech head has some issues for ipad lab purchases.  If you have/use an iPad lab can you comment on: they only last 2-3 years due to engineered obsoleteness -App purchase costs are high for class -hard to keep secure -district cannot repair them like Window devices -hard to keep clean/sanitary (especially during flu season)

*        REASONS/USES:  I have created library skills games for my students on Quia that they can access on the ipads.  Not all of them work, but some do.  You can add educational games to your list of benefits of ipads in the library. I also think Quia has quizzes (and I think you can make them through Google docs as well) so you can use them for assessment.

*        THOUGHTS:  I would look at a windows 8 tablet  You can run any legacy application and apps as well Easier to manage Paula Yohe paula_yohe at yahoo.com<mailto:paula_yohe at yahoo.com>

*        REASONS/USES:  Accelerated Reading if you have it, if not there are a number of other great comprehension apps.  Great apps for reading books - and the flexibility to move to a classroom to teach if your library gets taken over for tests or other things.

*        QUESTIONS:  I should have said, if your students are sharing iPads, where and how do they save their files and works in progress? Is there a way or an app that allows you to log in to your own cloud storage or to a school server or some other secure (not shared) location from the iPad?

*        RESPONSES TO THE QUESTIONS: Set up Evernote or Dropbox and get students to save their items there.  Sometimes they may have to take a pic and upload the pic instead.

*        Email works great!  A lot of apps have an email feature so that can help.

*        Moodle (which is the platform our district uses) can be used if a student logs on and creates something in the forum, which creates a URL he/she can send to the teacher.

*        If you are a GoogleApps for Education district, GoogleDrive can be used to create, edit (mostly) and save many kinds of documents.