[CASL-L] Stories for all Project--First Boook

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 3 10:09:10 PDT 2013

FYI

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: "Hughes-Hassell, Sandra" <smhughes at email.unc.edu>
To: "aaslforum at ala.org" <aaslforum at ala.org>
Sent: Mon, June 3, 2013 12:27:29 PM
Subject: [aaslforum] Stories for all Project--First Boook

First Book is taking a great step in getting publishers to produce books with
more diverse representations.

The Stories for All Project: Putting Our Money Where Our Mouth Is -
http://blog.firstbook.org/2013/03/11/the-stories-for-all-project-putting-our-money-where-our-mouth-is/

School and public libraries that serve diverse populations should consider
joining them in their efforts. If we all worked together we could challenge the
publishing industry to create books that more accurately mirror the demographic
make-up of the United States and better support the literacy needs of the
children we serve.

Research shows that utilizing culturally relevant literature:
*Increases motivation to read & write (Heflin & Barksdale-Ladd, 2001)
*Provides purpose for reading and writing (Hale, 2001)
*Improves recall & comprehension (Bell & Clark, 1998; McCullough, 2008)
*Increases phonological awareness & fluency (McCollin & O'Shea, 2005)
*Improves ability to navigate complex text (Duke, 2000)

Sandra Hughes-Hassell, Ph.D.
Professor
Coordinator of the School Library Media Program
Editor of the Journal of Research on Libraries and Young Adults
School of Information and Library Science
100 Manning Hall, CB #3360
The University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
919-843-5276