[CASL-L] Collab videos to share AND Common Core

Shelley Stedman slstedman at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 10 10:42:42 PDT 2013

Begin forwarded message:

From: <info at storytrail.com>
Subject: [aaslforum] RE: research simulation task on the new Common Core ELA assessments
Date: March 9, 2013 12:21:15 PM EST
To: aaslforum at ala.org

Dear Patricia and All,

I, too, am hoping that school librarians will take further steps toward maximizing their knowledge and practice of coteaching reading comprehension strategies and writing (two sides of the same coin). If children and youth are not comprehending the information they access, inquiry simply cannot happen.

One of the big challenges is that few classroom teachers and school librarians have had the experience of observing or practicing coteaching. Just as students learn from modeling, by imitiation, and from practice so do adults.

My last two posted on our Building a Culture of Collaboration Blog have focused on coteaching strategies. To my way of thinking, the "how" of what we do as instructional partners is equally important to "what" we do.

Coteaching: What Does It Look Like: http://cultureofcollaboration.edublogs.org/2013/03/07/coteaching-what-does-it-look-like/

Coteaching Models: http://cultureofcollaboration.edublogs.org/2013/03/09/coteaching-models/

Best,
Judi

P.S. Thank you, Patricia, for the shoutout for my secondary book. The revised elementary book will be available this summer. While my books focus on coteaching reading strategies, all of the sample lesson plans in both books involve educators in modeling writing and students in developing writing skills.

Judi Moreillon, M.L.S., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, School of Library and Information Studies
Texas Woman's University, Denton, TX
http://cultureofcollaboration.edublogs.org/

New Publication Available:
Coteaching Reading Comprehension Strategies in Secondary School Libraries: Maximizing Your Impact (2012)

Author:
Collaborative Strategies for Teaching Reading Comprehension: Maximizing Your Impact, Sing Down the Rain, and Read to Me/Vamos a leer

http://storytrail.com
info at storytrail.com