[CASL-L] JSTOR vs Literary Reference Center

Earnshaw,Tracy tearnshaw at RSD13.ORG
Mon Mar 18 05:24:53 PDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,
I currently subscribe to EBSCO's Literary Reference Center but I am looking for a cheaper option.  LRC is over $3600 per year.  We use it every spring when Juniors need literary criticism for their American authors project.  I hate spending that much on a database that is used by one subject for one project.  However, I have not found another source for literary criticism.  Background information on authors is freely available, as are reviews, but full-blown critical essays are what the English teachers need.  I have the print series Novels for Students, Poetry for Students, etc. from Gale but they do not cover all of the authors I need.  Does anyone subscribe to JSTOR, and if you do, do you know if it contains literary journals in which students can find criticism?

Thanks,

Tracy Earnshaw
Coginchaug Regional High School
P.O. Box 280