[CASL-L] TEVAL questions

Sandra Fitzpatrick sfitzpatrick at orange-ed.org
Wed May 8 05:25:36 PDT 2013

Hello,

My two elementary library colleagues and I are in the process of
developing a TEVAL plan to implement next year, and we are really
curious about other librarians' experiences with this. Our district is
giving us a LOT of independence with this. In many ways that is great,
but we're also feeling like we need a little more direction.

Right now we're specifically looking at the student evaluation piece. We
have it narrowed down to evaluating student growth from the beginning of
the year to the end of the year in grades 2 and 5 (our elementary-only
district has one Pre-K and K school and three schools for grades 1-6).
We feel pretty solid on identifying information literacy skills for
grade 2 and designing pre and post assessments, etc. Where we're feeling
a bit lost is for grade 5, especially since this year was the first year
we moved from a fully fixed library class schedule to a combination
fixed/flex schedule with grades 1-3 fixed and grades 4-6 flex. With the
flex schedule, we're afraid that it's going to be more difficult to
uniformly integrate our identified information literacy skills that
we're evaluating into teachers' classroom lessons and projects
throughout our own schools and throughout our district.

If any of our wonderful library colleagues out there (especially those
working with flex schedules in elementary or middle schools) would be
willing to share their experiences with this TEVAL business, we'd love
to hear your input. And if you know of any TEVAL-related resources
online that you have found helpful, please share! And of course I plan
to compile the feedback I get and share with the rest of the list.

Thanks so much!

Sandra Fitzpatrick

School Librarian

The Peck Place Elementary School