[CASL-L] RE: Technology

Palazzolo, Katrina kpalazzolo at windsorct.org
Thu Oct 10 08:32:58 PDT 2013

HELP!!!   I need information on the following.  If you have a minute (yeah, I know) I'm looking for the year (or approximate range if you're unsure) of when these events may have occurred in your school/district.

>From Windsor Public Schools --

1.       When a Parent portal was made available?  At the elementary level - 2012.  At the middle and high school level? 2010? (I can't recall. It has been a few years that the parent portal has been offered, but it has not been super-promoted. We still only have a little more than 50% of high school parents who have activated their Parent Portal accounts).
2.       When BYOD was officially allowed in your school/district? No BYOD yet.
3.       When Social Media was allowed for academic purposes? Still not embraced throughout the district.  We still have Facebook blocked.  We have a few teachers using Twitter.  Considered on a case-by-case basis.  To really use it, our district policies have to be re-examined.
4.       When school library stopped using borrower's cards?  At the secondary level, we scan our student ID's to check out books.    The vendor that takes our student's pictures makes the ID with barcodes which reflect the student ID #.  However, for students who forget their IDs, at Sage Park MS, they are experimenting with a finger scanner.
5.       When school library first started purchasing eBooks?  2011?
6.       When tablets/eReaders became available to students?  At the elementary level, we do not supply readers in the library.  There are a few tablet like devices that the middle school and high school library loan (not sure if the loan has been expanded to include students). However, Follett Destiny Quest allows students to read on their own tablets, Iphones and I Pads.
7.       When iPads/apps were first used by teachers/students?  We had a few iPads in the district in 2011.
8.       When Smartboards or Promethean Boards were installed in all classrooms? We had a few mobile SmartBoards in the district.  They started being installed about 2010. The district has made major headway in installation in the past two years.  Now, it is safe to say that every "core area" classroom in the district has some sort of interactive whiteboard or projector.  To outfit all classrooms in the district, we still have about 60ish classrooms that could use an install of an interactive projector.

Any responses, on any of these, would help me tremendously. :)