[CASL-L] New grant program to strengthen the arts in education

Sullivan, William F William.F.Sullivan at ct.gov
Wed Aug 20 06:29:07 PDT 2014

FYI:
http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/lib/sde/pdf/pressroom/new_grant_program_to_strengthen_arts_in_education.pdf

Excerpt:
"The State Department of Education (SDE) has joined with the Department of Economic and Community
Development (DECD), Connecticut Office of the Arts and the Connecticut Arts Council to provide mini-grants of
up to $50,000 for schools to enhance arts instruction through partnerships with local and state arts institutions,
organizations, and artists.

"When we expose our young people to the arts, we give them the chance to explore a world far beyond their
immediate surroundings," said Governor Dannel P. Malloy. "These cultural investments will directly enrich lives
of students and allow us to preserve and enhance the humanities across Connecticut schools."

Speaking Tuesday at the state's annual Back to School meeting for superintendents, Commissioner of Education
Stefan Pryor announced that up to $250,000 will be made available to schools statewide in this first round of
funding.

"Inclusion of the arts is essential to ensuring a high-quality and well-rounded educational experience for
students," Commissioner Pryor said. "These funds will help schools strengthen their arts programming by
encouraging them to form meaningful partnerships with local and statewide arts organizations and institutions.""

William Sullivan, Administrator
iCONN.org - Connecticut's re-search engine
Connecticut State Library
786 South Main Street, Middletown, CT  06457
William.F.Sullivan at ct.gov<mailto:William.F.Sullivan at ct.gov>
www.iconn.org<http://www.iconn.org/> - www.twitter.com/iCONN<http://www.twitter.com/iCONN>
www.ctstatelibrary.org<http://www.cslib.org/> - www.facebook.com/CSLDLD<http://www.facebook.com/CSLDLD>
p:  860-704-2230 or 888-256-1222 (toll-free in CT)
f:  860-704-2228