[CASL-L] Wednesday Webinars return in January!

Styles, Julie Julie.Styles at ct.gov
Wed Dec 3 09:26:53 PST 2014

Wednesday Webinars with Rita Gavelis return on Wednesday, January 7!

Join Rita on Wednesdays for great one-hour webinars you can attend from your own computer. These webinars are free, but registration is required. Click on any webinar title to register.

Wed  1/7      10:00am-11:00am
Troubleshooting Tablets<http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=5150&rts=&disptype=&ret=eventcalendar.asp&pointer=&returnToSearch=&num=0&ad=&dt=mo&mo=1/1/2015&df=calendar&EventType=ALL&Lib=&AgeGroup=&LangType=0&WindowMode=&noheader=&lad=&pub=1&nopub=&page=&pgdisp=>

Technology has evolved faster than the average person can keep up with it.  Every day, it seems, there is another device or gadget on the market.  With each new device comes the challenge of figuring out how it works and troubleshooting problems when it doesn't. In this webinar, we will explore sites for learning about the various tablets and discover tips for finding answers and fixes for our tablets when they cease to function properly.

Wed  1/21    1:00pm-2:00pm
Power Searching: Databases and the Hidden Web<http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=5151&rts=&disptype=&ret=eventcalendar.asp&pointer=&returnToSearch=&num=0&ad=&dt=mo&mo=1/1/2015&df=calendar&EventType=ALL&Lib=&AgeGroup=&LangType=0&WindowMode=&noheader=&lad=&pub=1&nopub=&page=&pgdisp=>

The Hidden Web, also commonly known as the invisible or deep web, are pages that have not been indexed by search engines.  They might be websites that have requested not to be indexed or databases that are difficult for search engines to crawl.  It is estimated that the content in the deep web is over 500 times greater than what is visible to conventional search engines.  In this webinar, we will explore the depths of the Internet, discussing how to search the Hidden Web and databases, as well as when to choose one over the other.

Wed  2/4     10:00am-11:00am
Top Tech Sites: DIY - Great Tech "How-To" sites<http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=5152&rts=&disptype=&ret=eventcalendar.asp&pointer=&returnToSearch=&num=0&ad=&dt=mo&mo=2/1/2015&df=calendar&EventType=ALL&Lib=&AgeGroup=&LangType=0&WindowMode=&noheader=&lad=&pub=1&nopub=&page=&pgdisp=>

Technology surrounds us.  Everywhere we look, we see a gadget of some kind, whether it is a computer, printer, cell phone, or MP3 player.  Technology is great when it works; unfortunately that is not always the case.  In this webinar, we will explore some of the more useful websites for learning how devices work, to fixing them when they don't.

Wed 2/18     10:00am-11:00am
Top Tech Sites: Keeping up with Technology Trends<http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=5153&rts=&disptype=&ret=eventcalendar.asp&pointer=&returnToSearch=&num=0&ad=&dt=mo&mo=2/1/2015&df=calendar&EventType=ALL&Lib=&AgeGroup=&LangType=0&WindowMode=&noheader=&lad=&pub=1&nopub=&page=&pgdisp=>

Keeping up with technology is a challenge librarians face on a daily basis.  There are numerous Internet resources available created by industry movers and shakers that can be invaluable as you cope with this ever changing electronic environment.  In this webinar, we will highlight the best technology sites for staying informed on the latest gadgets and software, as well as how to evaluate their use in your library.

Wed 3/4      1:00pm-2:00pm
Shopping for Technology: Get the Biggest Bang for your Dollar<http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=5154&rts=&disptype=&ret=eventcalendar.asp&pointer=&returnToSearch=&num=0&ad=&dt=mo&mo=3/1/2015&df=calendar&EventType=ALL&Lib=&AgeGroup=&LangType=0&WindowMode=&noheader=&lad=&pub=1&nopub=&page=&pgdisp=>

Technology changes so quickly, it is difficult to decide where to spend your technology budget.  In this webinar, we will explore the universe of shopping for technology:  from how to research what to buy, to finding where you can get the biggest bang for your technology buck.  We will discuss the strategies for finding gadget bargains, peruse the best review sites,  where to read up on what's here to stay or merely a flash in the pan, and also discover resources available to municipal / state/ educational organizations for discounts on equipment and software.

Wed  3/18      10:00am-11:00am
Beyond PowerPoint: Prezi<http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventsignup.asp?ID=5155&rts=&disptype=&ret=eventcalendar.asp&pointer=&returnToSearch=&num=0&ad=&dt=mo&mo=3/1/2015&df=calendar&EventType=ALL&Lib=&AgeGroup=&LangType=0&WindowMode=&noheader=&lad=&pub=1&nopub=&page=&pgdisp=>

Prezi is a virtual whiteboard that transforms presentation from monologues into conversations.  It transports you beyond the slide show and allows you to create a dynamic presentation that moves you from one idea to the next through animated transitions.  It is a great tool for keeping your thoughts organized and the audience captivated. In this webinar, we will demonstrate the different features of Prezi from the Desktop app, to the web-based service.

Click here to view the full Continuing Education Calendar: http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventcalendar.asp

Julie Styles
Professional Development Coordinator
CT State Library | Division of Library Development
786 South Main Street, Middletown, CT 06457
860.704.2206
julie.styles at ct.gov
[cid:image001.gif at 01D00EF3.04EDA7B0]<facebook.com/csldld> [cid:image002.gif at 01D00EF3.04EDA7B0] <https://twitter.com/csldld>  [cid:image003.gif at 01D00EF3.04EDA7B0] <http://www.pinterest.com/csldld/>
NEW! Connecticut State Library LibGuides:  http://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/
Continuing Education Calendar:  http://tinyurl.com/cslworkshops

[cid:image005.jpg at 01D00EF4.2723C890]