[CASL-L] SLJ teen

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 8 10:38:25 PDT 2014

FYI:
On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 3:58 PM, SLJ Teen - School Library Journal <schoollibraryjournal at email.schoollibraryjournal.com> wrote:

School Library Journal Teen

To view this email as a web page, click here.
SLJ.com | A Fuse #8 Production | 100 Scope Notes | Neverending Search | The Digital Shift | Webcasts | Manage Your Account
May 7, 2014

Greetings

What happened to April? I blinked, it was gone. Now I'm gearing up for BookExpo America at the end of the month—visit SLJ at booth 663 if you're attending. If you're a superhero fan like me, you'll find this issue's Media Mania and graphic novel roundup columns irresistible. It's my weakness—good overcoming evil, with a few super powers thrown in for good measure.—Dodie Ownes, editor

In the News
Jacksonville (FL) Public Library’s Collaborations Are a Win-Win for Students, Library, and Community
By Olga Bayer

Humor can be a powerful tool when it comes to encouraging children to read. Read on to learn about Jacksonville (FL) Public Library's outreach activities, which are putting smiles on a lot of faces.

2014 YALSA Teens' Top Ten Nominees Announced
By SLJ

YALSA recently announced the 25 Teens’ Top Ten Nominees for 2014. Teens are encouraged to read the titles before the national Teens’ Top Ten vote, which starts August 15 and goes through Teen Read Week, from October 12-18.

Gale Launches Interlink Document-Level Hyperlink Technology
By SLJ

Gale, part of Cengage Learning, has announced the launch of InterLink, a new technology that connects current articles from newspapers, magazines, and journals with contextual reference content found within ebooks on Gale Virtual Reference Library (GVRL).

JLG's Booktalks to Go Teen
YA Books with Diverse Male Protagonists
By Deborah B. Ford

Survival camp, a witness protection program, superheroes, and Tourette's syndrome are all part of this issue's JLG's Booktalks to Go Teen column. In addition to being great stories, each title features diverse characters, and boys of color get a long overdue spotlight.

News Flash from Griffin Teen!
Spend Your Summer with Griffin Teen! | Sponsored
Sponsored by Macmillan

No need to worry about curling pages or sunscreen stains with downloadable e-galleys direct from Edelweiss. Get ready for summer with these fantastic new titles from Griffin Teen, sponsored by Macmillan.

Graphic Novel Roundup
Comics and Graphic Novels: Strong Female Protagonists Win the Day
By Brigid Alverson

Step aside, boys! The ladies are running the show in these comics and graphic novels that feature strong female characters in leading roles.

Book and Media Reviews from Young Adults
Teens Review Titles Featuring Rats, Philosophers, Time Travel, and More
By Young Adult Advisory Councils, Johnson County (KS) Library

In Terence Blacker's The Twyning, rats aren't bad, just misunderstood—a lot like teens. Just Myrto brings ancient Greek society to the YA lit world, and our reviewer couldn't be happier about it. Read on for more reviews and title tidbits.

Teens Review Divergent Soundtrack, Shakira, and Garden Warfare | Music and Games

Teens who went crazy for the "Divergent" series and film adaptation will want the soundtrack on autoplay. Think it would be hard for Shakira to surprise you? Her 10th studio album will. Need help keeping the zombies off your lawn? Sign up for Garden Warfare, the latest in the Plants vs. Zombies game franchise.

What's Hot in YA
Conclusions to Bardugo, Cass, and Taylor’s Sagas and More
By Shelley Diaz

After teens have devoured the final volumes in the popular fantasy series by Leigh Bardugo, Kiera Cass, and Laini Taylor out this spring, offer the following hot picks in fiction, graphic novels, and nonfiction. Whether a fantasy die-hard or a fan of contemporary fiction with diverse characters, readers will find a smorgasbord of engrossing titles in these selections.

Media Mania: Book Tie-ins to High-Interest Movies, TV Shows, and More
Marvel Superhero Blowout: Captain America, Spiderman, and the X-men
By Joy Fleishhacker

This spring has brought a bumper crop of big-budget films about the adventures of shield-flinging, skyscraper-swinging, mutation-mastering heroes. Supercharge your holdings and movie tie-in book displays by including this selection of preludes, adaptations, story sources and inspirations, and suggested reads about popular Marvel characters.

Job of the Week

The Fairbanks North Star Borough School District is looking for a School Librarian.

From the Blogs
Dragons and Romance
By Angela Carstensen, Adult Books 4 Teens

For the last two school years, a good half of my student book group meetings have devolved into chatter about The Game of Thrones. There are those who have read all of the books, those who are obsessed with the HBO series, and those just getting their feet wet. And yes, there are the quiet few who have no interest. I spend most of my time trying to prevent spoilers from flying. I'm recommending Moth and Spark, a debut from Anne Leonard, for my Thrones fans.

New Online: View a Continuous HD Livestream of Earth Taken from the International Space Station
By Gary Price, Infodocket

NASA has launched a livestream of the earth from space, giving viewers the opportunity to see what only astronauts get to see. Four HD cameras were attached to the International Space Station (ISS), which stream live video footage of the earth for viewing online.Read More›››

Seen and Heard
Geeks vs. Jocks in an Epic Battle | Fat Boy vs. the Cheerleaders Giveaway
Sponsored by Sourcebooks

It’s geeks versus jocks in an epic battle of the beverages. Read on to find out how you can win one of 10 signed copies of Fat Boy vs. the Cheerleaders, the latest from the very funny and teen-tuned-in Geoff Herbach.

2014 Ebook Survey | Calling All Public and School Librarians
By SLJ

SLJ invites you to participate in the 2014 ebook survey for school and public libraries throughout the United States. This is our fifth year trending library ebook usage information, which benefits libraries, advocacy groups, and publishers in navigating and serving this essential market. Respondents will have the opportunity to receive a summary of the overall results AND be entered into a drawing to win a new Apple iPad mini.

The YA Lit Winners and Honorees Announced for the 2014 Street Literature Book Awards
By SLJ

The news is out! The 2014 Street Literature Book Award winner in the YA lit category is the series “Hip Hop Biographies,” published by Saddleback Educational Publishing.

LINKS
SchoolLibraryJournal.com
SLJ Webcasts
SLJ on Facebook