[CASL-L] Reader advisory for a fellow librarian?

SEELY, MOLLY MOLLY.SEELY at new-haven.k12.ct.us
Thu Sep 18 10:18:57 PDT 2014

Hello all,

I'm a K-8 librarian working on creating my book request list for the year. Two categories I have a great deal of trouble with are mysteries and romances. My 5-8 students love these genres, but I'm weak in this area. What titles would you recommend for these genres? My students would prefer the mystery or the romance be the focus of the novel, rather than a background aspect.

I've tried shelflistings on other sites (Goodreads, LibraryThing, Reader Advisory sites, etc), but I find the recommended books generally are not remotely appropriate for middle school students or only feature the romance/mystery as a fleeting side-story.

If it helps any, my students are inner-city and predominantly Hispanic (maybe someone out there knows a good urban romance?)

Thanks All!

Sincerely,
Molly